PDA

View Full Version : Changing front sight blade on '59 Pedersoli Sharps

TNSharps55
05-16-2010, 09:01 PM
My 1859 Pedersoli Sharps carbine has a front sight blade that is pinned to its base, but the pin holes appear to have been peened after the pin was installed at the factory. For those of you that own Pedersoli's, how do you normally raise your front sight? Do you drill out the sight base and drive out the pin or do you solder an extension onto the top of the blade? Mine is shooting about 6" hight at 50 yds. and the rear sight is as low as possible.

Gary B
05-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Terry,
I was able to simply punch the pin out. I made a new, taller front site out of brass stock, fit the curved base snug, tap it in and drill for the pin. Tap pin in and center punch.
if the pin is loose, substitute the appropriate role pin size for a tighter fit.
Hope this helps,
Gary B.

Southron Sr.
05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
I did about the same thing with my Pedersoli Sharps front sight that Gary B. did, the only difference was that I also silver soldered the new front sight blade in in addition to the pins. I actually made my new front sight out of an old brass key! It took a lot of filing!

As you have probably discerned, you can adjust youw "windage" by tapping the rear sight back and forth in its dovetail.

HINT: That tiny little screwdriver out of an 'Eyeglasses Repair Kit' is a perfect fit for that little friction screw that holds the rear slight slide in its position on the rear sight ladder. I always keep my little screwdriver in the patchbox of my Sharps.

GOOD LUCK

TNSharps55
05-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys. I'll get with it this weekend and see if I can punch it out without knocking the base off.

Southron Sr.
05-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Dear Terry:

This weekend while you are working on the front sight of your Sharps we all will be at the Spring Nationals at Fort Shenandoah, Virginia shooting our Sharps in Individual and Team Matches! So we will be having a Heck of a Lot of Fun in one of the largest black powder shoots in the entire world!

You need to consider joining one of our fine Tennessee teams. The 4th Tennessee is located in Western Tennessee not to mention several other fine Skirmish teams in Kentucky, etc. Come on and start shooting with us!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!