PDA

View Full Version : Smith carbine

toot
11-08-2020, 11:00 AM
I have an early REPRO NAVIE ARMS, NEW JERSEY, SMITH CARBINE. the problem that I have is that after shooting it to open it to remove the cartridge it is a finger breaker. after several shots it becomes impossible to get it open because my right index finger is no longer able to use it to break it open. question, does any body else ever experience this situation with there's? is it just with early NAVIE ARMS?

bobanderson
11-09-2020, 06:16 AM
I've seen quite a few where this is the case. Women shooters might lack the hand strength to open that latch.
Some people point the muzzle down, and with the trigger guard toward you, press the release with your thumb.

A good gunsmith/machinist like Larry Flees could probably hone the contact point or ease the spring a bit.

Give him a call, 231-342-0821 or email ljflees@hotmail.com.

MAPedersen
11-09-2020, 03:50 PM
I had the same problem with a newer Smith repo. I put a .004" washer between the spring and body for the spring screw and it made a big difference in effort needed to open the action.

Michael Bodner
11-12-2020, 12:29 PM
Opening the Smith is a bit of a trick. You don't really want to 'press' the latch. Hard to describe, but put TWO fingers into the trigger guard (middle finger backs up the index finger) and sort-of rotate the gun down with the left hand and push up with the right hand around the fingers such that the latch gest pushed-on by those captured fingers.

You have to do it quickly and decisively, not slow and steady.

YES, the washer will work, but you need to be VERY careful that you don't take so much of the spring tension off that the latch pops open by itself while firing...

Keep in mind, that some folks just can't operate the Smith for all the reasons you're discovering...

Good luck!

-Boots