PDA

View Full Version : Lube dip

Dave Fox
10-30-2020, 08:43 PM
Anyone have experience dipping projectiles already inserted in paper cartridges all the way up into the paper wrap in melted lube and then firing them that way (the bullet entirely lube-coated)? I casually shoot a Merrill, Starr, and Gwyn & Campbell and, though a waste of lube, seems to me to be easier if it doesn't affect accuracy. And, who knows, the shock of the discharge might sort of peal the excess lube off the pointy end of the bullet, providing additional bore fouling softening.

MR. GADGET
10-30-2020, 08:46 PM
I do my sharps paper wrap rounds that way.
About the only what to do sharps paper.

I will add I heat the lube a little hot so it leaves a thinner coat.

Maillemaker
10-30-2020, 11:07 PM
You can also make a dipper out of a brass cartridge or some copper tubing. This way the nose of the bullet is not coated in lube. I don't think it affects accuracy but it saves lube.

https://i.imgur.com/mLCfOL7l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/e025pjDl.jpg

Steve

Hal
10-31-2020, 04:45 AM
I use Steve's method.

Dave Fox
10-31-2020, 04:54 PM
I THINK I see it: The nose of the cartridge case is sealed in the 'dipper' and the Sharps cartridge/bullet immersed (with dipper) over the bullet grooves? I've just made my own using a .56-56 case and a coat hanger wire epoxied to it to use as a handle. It's a stroke of genius, Steve!

efritz
10-31-2020, 08:34 PM
Dave
I believe also about the pealing back aspect. I shot a Greene bolt action civil war firearm by dipping the head in lube. If you don?t know about a Greene. Look it up. Very unique. I also lubed center fire cartridges by dipping. Made up a 44-40 using a round ball and dipping when loaded. Also a 45LC. In a Ballard. Did so bc I was using an original bored Ballard rifle. 46 cal. With a 45 gas check type bullet. Didn?t use the gas check. In a 44 mag case. Sounds weird but it worked. Anyhow. Had to dip the head. So it works when need arises.

Maillemaker
10-31-2020, 10:46 PM
[quote]I THINK I see it: The nose of the cartridge case is sealed in the 'dipper' and the Sharps cartridge/bullet immersed (with dipper) over the bullet grooves? I've just made my own using a .56-56 case and a coat hanger wire epoxied to it to use as a handle. It's a stroke of genius, Steve![quote]

Yup! I have made dippers using .45 ACP brass, and I bell the mouth open with my machinist vice and I use these ball stakes:

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-piece-doming-block-and-punch-set-93539.html

I have also used 1/2" copper pipe and again used the doming block to slightly turn in the lip of the pipe to the needed diameter.

But, I have also completely dipped the entire bullet in lube. There may be accuracy benefits to only coating the driving portion of the bullet but my intent was simply not to waste lube lubing the part of the bullet that didn't need any. :)

Steve

bobanderson
11-01-2020, 04:51 AM
I have also completely dipped the entire bullet in lube. There may be accuracy benefits to only coating the driving portion of the bullet but my intent was simply not to waste lube lubing the part of the bullet that didn't need any. :)

Steve

I started out dipping the entire bullet for expediency sake. Other than lube on the target, I saw no accuracy effects. I made a dipping tool (out of a 50 AE case) because fully lubed rounds were more prone to pick up dirt, etc. and that seemed wrong.

Anyway, a side by side accuracy test would seem to be in order.

For the sake of science, of course.

Chris Sweeney
11-01-2020, 09:34 AM
I dip just the grooves of my maynard bullets. I stick the nose into a soft rubber .44 revolver case. Dip it in the hot lube for a few seconds ( it seems to adhere better if you don't just stab it in and out). Give the case a bit of a squeeze and the bullet pops out.

Maillemaker
11-01-2020, 10:50 AM
Here are the "Bobtail" bullets Bob sent me. I did not have a dipper that would fit them so I just dipped the whole nose. They shot great.

https://i.imgur.com/iXnQMCDl.jpg

Dave Fox
11-01-2020, 03:08 PM
While I concede to others the idea of this bullet-dipping accessory, the construction today of my version stands out, having that certain beauty bestowed by an aesthetically sensitive craftsman with a minor in art.