PDA

View Full Version : Believe 1884 Trapdoor cadet, paint removal recommendations

ewmail15
10-13-2020, 09:06 PM
Hi. When I can make a road trip, I'll be adding and M1884 (serial 55522x, 1892 mfr). Looks like it has the longer cadet grip, and I've emailed the owner if the barrel is 29 1/2" and has a serrated trigger. It's gonna be a great restoration piece, and has a nice bit of history to how it was saved/rescued. Anyhow, the guy's older brother (teenagers back when) decided to paint it after they found it. Maybe it was an eyesore, won't know until I remove all the paint. Would anyone have recommendations on how best to remove the paint and keep any original bluing/case hardening? Could be that the paint has saved what might have become major rust/pitting. Thanks, Eric.

Muley Gil
10-14-2020, 12:37 PM
If the back of the hammer has been painted, I would remove the hammer and try paint remover on a SMALL spot and see what happens.

ewmail15
10-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Will try that, plus maybe my wife's hair dryer and some other stuff - on the backside first. Hope the luster is still there. Anyone have an original lockplate screw? Just tried SS Firearms but nothing. Will try other sites too.

geezmo
10-14-2020, 10:46 PM
Eric,

Try www.trapdoorcollector.com (http://www.trapdoorcollector.com)

ewmail15
10-16-2020, 01:03 AM
Will do. Thanks.

ewmail15
10-20-2020, 12:23 AM
She's about as beautiful as I could have hoped she'd be. Took about four or five coats of citrus paint stripper (coat/wait/wipe/repeat), but just about all the paint is off now. Odd the trigger guard was the worst condition. Barrel has no trace of rust, and I have the barrel/frame standing up against the workbench wall full of evaporust. All but the cleaning rod are now in pb blaster. I removed the lockplate's mainspring, sear and bridle, as the rear lockplate screw that holds it in place had its screw end busted in the lockplate. Also, bummer the bridle stud was busted in its lockplate hole, but I was able to find it when if fell on the floor. After a few days of soaking, I'm hoping the tumbler will be ready to break loose from the hammer. I'll post some more photos later this week.

Hal
10-20-2020, 04:59 PM
Good news.