PDA

View Full Version : Regarding bullet size science

Bruce Cobb 1723V
10-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Respectful to all regarding the right bullet size. Fact: In a "breech loader", pushing something down a barrel is not the same as having a big explosion do it! Lead is soft. A lead bullet is compressed like a sponge from an explosion behind it. Smaller bullets will fill the grooves completely upon this high pressure! Just look at a undersized bullet after it is shot. The lands compress and displace the lead even more and also aid in filling the grooves. A bullet is not the same size in a barrel under pressure as it is after it exits it, either. Just to clarify this, a undersize bullet is something less in diameter then the groove diameter, not the land diameter. Friction is not your friend. The less the better. Lubrication matters, Caps matter, Nipple hole sizes matter, Powder type matters, Size matters & Lead hardness matters. Some number of these in combination will make a shooter, a great shooter. These are all the basics. I was thinking of attaching this to a post but decided this was a better idea.

John Bly
10-11-2020, 08:24 PM
Well Bruce, you said a lot but didn't tell us anything. You must have some politician blood in your veins.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
10-12-2020, 09:16 AM
John is a cold man, but he has a point. Those of us who are shooters should know all of this already. And it all comes down to " feed the gun what it likes". That's why we spend range time working up loads (at least that's where we should start.) We should be happy we're shooting black. Think about the modern guys. Bullet, case, powder, primer seating depth, it goes on and on. I'm not that bright or patient.

Greg

Ron The Old Reb
10-12-2020, 09:47 AM
"Bullet, case, powder, primer seating depth, it goes on and on. "

Why I got out of Bench Rest Shooting.:(

Hal
10-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Everyone has an opinion. Here's mine.

How many times have you heard someone say that such and such a Minie has too thick of a skirt and won't expand into the rifling properly? If 50 some odd grains of powder wont expand a Minie skirt (Yeah, pun intended...), I find it hard to believe 30 or 40 some odd grains is going to obturate an undersized flat based bullet in a breechloader. Yeah, it ain't exactly the same thing, but still.......

Again, just an opinion.

MR. GADGET
10-12-2020, 11:44 PM
Ok

So what?

Did someone tell you something different and you want to come on here to make a point or just rant?

Lot more factors involved than just what you stated.

Hal
10-13-2020, 04:43 AM
Rant? Really? I haven't a clue where THAT came from.

No ranting on my part. Sorry you perceived it that way.

MR. GADGET
10-13-2020, 07:03 AM
Rant? Really? I haven't a clue where THAT came from.

No ranting on my part. Sorry you perceived it that way.

Was talking about the OP there big guy. Hang on to your shorts!
Meaningless post with no facts.

John Holland
10-13-2020, 08:47 AM
Personally, I read the OP as random musings put to print, and nothing more. I read it, shrugged my shoulders, and moved along.

Eggman
10-13-2020, 09:15 AM
Personally, I read the OP
You guys completely lost me. I can't find a reference to Optimus Prime anywhere in here.

Hal
10-13-2020, 11:38 AM
Was talking about the OP there big guy. Hang on to your shorts!
Meaningless post with no facts.

My apologies, Mr. Gadget.

Eggman
10-13-2020, 04:58 PM
Why in the great wide world of guns and grumbles are you apologizing.

Harry Gaul
10-13-2020, 07:40 PM
I am just a Science Nerd. Knowledge is power. How can I argue with success? Laws of Physics do work. Two things can not occupy the same space at the same time. If there is an attempt, it is called an accident. On another post I tried to explain where the lead goes when the shooter uses an oversize bullet to groove size. The lead has got to go somewhere. Shooters who advocate the Foreign compression bullet like in an Lorenz warn would-be users not to use too much lube. Too much lube keeps the compression bullet from compressing and engaging the rifling in a consist manner.

Currently, I am working on a geometry problem to help determine long and short rounds in Mortar. The Military have computers that calculate distance and angles for Artillery. I am going old school with my Iphone with sin and cosine, adjacent and opposite and hypotenuse. This kind of thinking is supposed to keep the brain sharp. Maybe?????

My goal from College was to put the STUD in STUDy. ;)

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
Harry
03626v

Bruce Cobb 1723V
10-14-2020, 06:00 PM
My comments were meant for those that are struggling. I wish when I was new to the game that someone would have told me the number of things that can effect your shooting.

Eggman
10-15-2020, 04:02 PM
Yeah Bruce your post opened a whole plethora of discussion topics. Seemed to be some confusion as to which specific topic to address. I know sin wasn't one of them.

Harry Gaul
10-15-2020, 04:37 PM
Darn auto correct. It is sine not sin. It is a geometry thing. Thanks for commenting.

Putting the STUD in STUDy, not sin,
Harry
03626v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk