PDA

View Full Version : Relining an Original 3-band barrel

Paul L
09-29-2020, 03:47 PM
Hello,

Can an original 3-band barrel be relined ? I was wondering because those barrels are pretty thin near the muzzle and was wondering if that posed any challenge in the relining process. I have two barrels that could stand a relining, but have been hesitant to do that because on the thinness.

Thanks!

Paul
15th Virginia Cavalry

Lou Lou Lou
09-29-2020, 04:07 PM
Bobby Hoyt will be back this week he can do it.

MarkTK36thIL
09-29-2020, 08:51 PM
Bobby Hoyt will be back this week he can do it.
Any idea what his turnaround time is?
Thank you.

Eggman
09-30-2020, 08:47 AM
His number is 717-642-6696. You've got all winter. He does fabulous work.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
09-30-2020, 08:50 AM
Last time I dealt with Bobby, he told me if I prepaid, turn time would be 2 months. If I paid when done, he would use the job as filler work. I prepaid and the job arrived ahead of his quoted delivery time. Use this info as approprate.

Greg

Eggman
09-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Had the same deal both times (Maynard, Spencer).

Eggman
09-30-2020, 09:03 AM
I think the Spencer challenged him a bit. He sent a note with it siting a variation from the original configuration (I did change it from .56 to .50) but I'd be hornswagled if I could detect any change. Functionality perfect. I'm in awe of his skills - he's a 10X machinist.

John Bly
09-30-2020, 09:44 AM
Bobby has not been overwhelmed with work lately and his turnaround time should be good. I have always prepaid some or all of the work I have had him do for me. Greasing the wheel seems to make things go quickly.

dbackfed
09-30-2020, 02:08 PM
Any estimate on the price for a reline?

Robt. Propst
09-30-2020, 11:09 PM
Sent you a PM. Bob

Eggman
10-01-2020, 09:46 AM
Hello,

Can an original 3-band barrel be relined ? I was wondering because those barrels are pretty thin near the muzzle and was wondering if that posed any challenge in the relining process. I have two barrels that could stand a relining, but have been hesitant to do that because on the thinness.

Thanks!

Paul
15th Virginia Cavalry

Ah, this reminds me of the late John D. Baird, The Buckskin Report, and the glorious 70s. That was the era of the Italian invasion: black powder shooting was suddenly in vogue via Jeremiah Johnson and the like, and the Italians rushed in with low cost muzzle loaders along the Hawken style lines. Baird didn't like them, in particular didn't like the thin metal underneath where the barrel lugs were installed, and didn't like some of the steel being used (too brittle), I think it was Stressproof. Baird's standard was -- every muzzle loader should be able to withstand the firing of a short loaded round. How Baird would react to the modern Buck Rogers styled muzzle loaders is difficult to comprehend.
Safety isn't usually a topic brought up here Paul so you're somewhat unique. In general our repros are very sound, and the originals very very sound. Remember first, the BP pressure curve is very quick - the max during like the first three inches of ball travel. Pressure down by that thin part very low. The guns were built for combat and are very sound. A visit to one of the CW battlefield museums will provide examples of this soundness. In the chaos of combat many guns withstood multiple loads, short loaded loads, blocked loads etc. etc. About the only safety issue I've encountered with these guns was the cleanout screw in my Smith repro. The screw only had two functioning threads. That cleanout channel has since been sealed up.

Paul L
12-09-2020, 08:44 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to give you an update. I followed the advice and gave Bob a call about relining these barrels. We had a great chat about it. He explained what his process was and was very patient with me and my questions. Great guy! I sent him both barrels, and got them back last week. Turn-around time was about 6 weeks. Much faster than I was expecting. I am very impressed by the work! great job ! Based on my experience, i would highly recommend Bob to anyone looking to have a barrel relined. Of course, you guys already knew this and I just found out for myself!

Thanks for the guidance!

Paul L
15th Virginia Cavalry

Dave Fox
12-10-2020, 09:04 AM
By the bye, what's being discussed here is a liner job, not a RE-lining. Hoyt has lined numerous barrels for me. Some .69s with barrels extremely thin. He and his granddaughter do superb work.

John Holland
12-10-2020, 10:40 AM
Dave Fox - When it comes to the barrels we use, the majority of shooters in the N-SSA will use the terms "Liner, Lined, and Re-Lined" interchangeably.

MR. GADGET
12-10-2020, 11:56 AM
I had one Re-Lined.

50-70 Gov
Started life as a musket, made to a 50-70 Trapdoor with a liner, then relined after the liner was shot out.

Very fun gun!