PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a good sizing die now?

Maillemaker
08-31-2020, 07:13 PM
So Lee has stopped making custom sizers over .515" in diameter. This means they have abandoned the muzzle loading market for anything bigger than 50 cal.

A while ago when I was doing load workups with my new Smith, I bought a .515 sizer from Lodgewood - it's a North East Trading Company sizer that threads into a single stage press. Bullets were .522 to start with - sizing down .007". The NETCO sizer totally mangled the bullets. IT does not have a gentle transition like the Lee sizers but rather a simple chamfer.

Now I'm wanting to size Sharps bullets from .550 to .542 (.008" down). Can't get a custom Lee one anymore, so I ordered a NETCO directly from NETCO. Same thing. Requires a tremendous amount of force to push them through, and it smears them terribly.

I contacted NETCO via email, and he called me today saying that's just the way his sizers are and he can't afford to make them as nice as the Lee ones and that with pure lead they won't size down as far as I'm trying to size them.

So, I've given up on NETCO sizing dies.

Lee is out of the picture, now, too, so who else makes a bottom-push sizing die?

I could always get a top-punch die from S&S for my Lyman Lubrisizer, and I guess that's what I'll do if I have no other choice, but I really like the press-mounted style that pushes them through nose-first.

If you want, send a kindly-worded email to Lee asking them to please support muzzle loaders larger than 50 cal: support@leeprecision.com

Steve

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
08-31-2020, 08:15 PM
Steve Try Tom Crone 301 473 5699 He make a really nice die and will work with you . Wayne Shaw Harlan's Light Cav National IG and SAC

RaiderANV
08-31-2020, 08:20 PM
I second Tom?s dies. Quality work and good price.

Maillemaker
08-31-2020, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys, will do!

Steve

bobanderson
09-01-2020, 04:57 AM
Or you could go old school and get a Starr Lube sizer from Magma Engineering. Initial investment is a chunk, but after that the dies, which push through nose first and lube as a second, albeit simultaneous step, are about in the same ballpark price.

I bought an original about 10 years ago.

Magma also makes the Master Caster.

https://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/

You strike me as a gadget oriented personality.

Kevin Tinny
09-01-2020, 08:26 AM
Hello:

Things change. I have used Star reloading equipment since the 1950's and it is tops, but since Magma took over and used up the old inventory, I have had three sizing dies way off sized OD spec, even when sent samples so alloy is factored.

Now, I send samples and bracket with three ID dim's hoping one of them will be ok.
So far this has worked. .

I found:
All sizing dies expand a little from pressure as the bullet is pushed, so the ID of the sizer is not the finished OD of the bullet. The sizer usually produces a slightly smaller bullet OD. And this difference is greater with harder alloys, esp. if sizing more than .0015" with THIN WALLED dies.
The 7/8" X 14tpi dies are the thickest and are my favorite. And I use a heavy press to FEEL the bullet passage. Cocked ones are a crunch.

Sizing dry vs. slightly lubed can change sized OD a couple tenths.

Don't try to enlarge a die ID yourself. Takes EXPERIENCE, skill and the right tools.
If trying to size more than .002", perhaps a smaller as-cast bullet via alloy change or smaller mould will help. Sizing dies become difficult to use if trying to size more than .002", esp w harder alloy.

My Star becomes almost impossible to use with 18Bhn alloy if more than .0015" sized.
Could do in two steps, but can create a dished base edge that is not good for accuracy.

I agree with using Tom and John Bly, who know us and are at the Fort for Nationals.
Send samples and ask for a tapered step-down from the big end to the desired diameter with that section being as long as the bullet so sample presents desired sized OD instead of sizer ID, if tenths matter. Expect a wait. This work takes courage.

For Minie's with a slight as-cast flash on the base, I GENTLY draw the base across 800 grit on top of a flat plate, barely enough to remove flash that can cause bullet BASE to sit cocked on top of FLAT faced sizing PUNCH. I use only FITTED die matching punches .001" under sizer ID. If wish extra base flatness, after 800 grit wipe, lightly rub the deflashed base on a HARD dead flat plate to burnish the 800 grit marks. I use a dead flat 3/4" glass plate that is smoother than metal.

Cone-tipped punches may be ok for fast minie work, but they will allow an off aligned minie and a poorly sized reject. These miss-sized ones will be flyers, so inspect EVERY sized bullet.

All the best,
Kevin Tinny

Eggman
09-01-2020, 09:32 AM
Still trying to get my mind around the idea of why someone would buy a mould throwing bullets .008 too fat.

Maillemaker
09-01-2020, 10:48 AM
I?m using historical bullets from Eras Gone Bullet Molds. They are very accurate reproductions. I get the molds for free, and I got the guns after I had the molds.

MR. GADGET
09-01-2020, 10:52 AM
You need to step size to get that kind of difference.
Need to order a few sizers.
It would be best to use a bullet closer to what is needed.

Tom does great work. He has the best dies I have used.

Eggman
09-01-2020, 11:35 AM
I?m using historical bullets from Eras Gone Bullet Molds. They are very accurate reproductions. I get the molds for free, and I got the guns after I had the molds.
Ah ha!!! Interesting adventure!

Maillemaker
09-01-2020, 12:47 PM
The Lee sizer pushes a .522 Smith bullet down to .515 easily.

Steve

Harry Gaul
09-01-2020, 02:08 PM
On another post I suggested that you contact Robert Bradley on Facebook. He hangs around and contributes to discussions on Rifled Muskets and Civil War firearms. Presently, he is into making bullet molds for odd ball Civil War bullets. He made me sizing dies, and I am pleased with the quality. If you order from him, you need to stress that the sizing dies has two dimensions. The die has a slight internal cone design. The bullet enters at bigger size and ends with the finish size you desire. He makes the sizing dies with a 7/8 X 14 thread and screws into any regular reloading press. I am happy with his work.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
Harry
03626v

Maillemaker
09-01-2020, 03:16 PM
I called Tom Crone and have ordered a .542 die. He was aware of the abrupt transition problem with the NETCO dies and said his have a more gentle transition and are honed smooth. As a result his sizers swage more than shave, which is what I'm hoping for.

I'll report when it comes in.

Steve

Randall
09-03-2020, 11:06 PM
Chris Smith at redgreen@cooldude.com makes custom dies for most if not all makes of sizers. Many of the commercial bullet suppliers use his sizing dies and the work is impeccable.