PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Shiloh CS Robinson Sharps

Richard Sloop
08-28-2020, 01:20 PM
Looking for a solid Shiloh Robinson Sharps. Based on condition, I'm glad to be generous!

I had the Shiloh model years ago and it still is my favorite firearm. It was stolen from my car in the mid-90's and by then it was out of production so no real way to replace it. While I have casually looked for the last several years, it seems I always just miss a nice one. If there is one sitting in your gun safe or in the back of the closet collecting dust, let me know. I have a good home for it!

bobanderson
08-29-2020, 07:02 AM
Pedersoli makes one, too, unless you're set on the Shiloh. Fit, finish and accuracy of Pedersoli Sharps carbines is first rate.
Depending on how much you want to shoot either one, you'll need to contact Larry Flees to get the gas check replaced so you can enjoy it all day at the range.

Richard Sloop
08-30-2020, 10:32 AM
Hey Bob! Thanks for the response. A few people have told me the Pedersoli is a great alternative and of the same quality. My interest in securing a Shiloh is as much emotional based as anything. I want a replacement as close to 'Old Smokey' as possible. I'm really hoping someone will reach to the back of their closet and offer exactly what I lost. That would make my day.

Is there any info online about the gas check modification? I shot my previous carbine for years - at the range and hunting deer - for years with no gas leak issues. Would be interested to hear more.

geezmo
08-30-2020, 12:03 PM
Rich,

You may want to check out this portion of the Shiloh web site. https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=7439c2ce59c364ddf0855b7ac33fb498

bobanderson
08-31-2020, 04:18 AM
Hey Bob! Thanks for the response.

Is there any info online about the gas check modification? Would be interested to hear more.

Hard to believe in this day and age, but I doubt it.

(The following is opinion only.)

As sold, reproduction Sharps carbines, both imported and American made, tend to follow the original design, which was prone to being tied up by powder fouling and leakage. Skirmishers work their firearms a bit harder at times and needed a better designed gas seal to handle long shot strings, especially at a timed at a team event. Aside from factory systems, I know of two distinct styles currently offered. I'll speak to the one I know most about, the one perfected by the late Sam Dobbin, a friend and teammate, and a crackerjack machinist. Sam created a close fitting replacement gas check plate made from Ampco bronze and held against the breech face by a rubber o ring. He replaced the chamber sleeve and honed the face of that piece to create a tight slip fit that resists the usual faults of the original design.
Sam has gone to the Heavenly A Team, or maybe one further South, but he left his knowledge with Mr. Larry Flees, who performs as many of these modifications as his schedule permits.
Again, in my opinion, if you plan to shoot your Sharps rifle or carbine more that the occasional range session or deer season opener, it's well worth the cost.
Larry can be reached at ljflees@hotmail.com or by phone, 231-342-0821.

Richard Sloop
08-31-2020, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the folks who have PM'ed me with minty Shiloh rifles. Certainly appreciate the info and support, but Im want to stay on the hunt for a Shiloh Robinson. Im a patient man and I know there's one out there for me somewhere.

Richard Sloop
09-01-2020, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the folks who have PM'ed me with minty Shiloh rifles. Certainly appreciate the info and support, but Im want to stay on the hunt for a Shiloh Robinson. Im a patient man and I know there's one out there for me somewhere.

Now three minty Shiloh rifles found. Anyone interested please PM me for info and contacts. Glad to help ...and hope someone helps me find a Shiloh Robinson!

Maillemaker
09-02-2020, 10:49 AM
Is there any info online about the gas check modification? Would be interested to hear more.

You can read my review of Larry's work here:

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/13515-Review-Larry-Flees-Pedersoli-Sharps-Carbine-rework?highlight=larry+flees+review

On my particular Pedersoli 1859 Sharps Carbine, it has a completely free-floating (sliding) chamber sleeve. I believe this is historically incorrect. I spoke with Mr. Pedersoli and he said that they actually make two versions of the gun, one with a sliding chamber and one without. I'm not sure how the consumer would know which they were getting. He said something about not wanting to make changes for fear or losing N-SSA approval. I don't remember the exact details of the conversation right now.

But with mine, the chamber sleeve slides completely freely back and forth. At least when it is clean.

From what I have read about these guns, my belief is that the chamber sleeve could in fact be moved, using a "buching tool", inserted from the muzzle. But I believe the sleeve was essentially fixed, unless you used this tool to force repositioning of the sleeve. The tool would let you essentially "headspace" the sleeve, so that a skilled armorer could push the sleeve back against the gas check plate until the proper amount of fit was achieved to minimize gas leakage while still allowing the breech block to be removed and inserted into the receiver.

Larry does this as part of his modification. He removes the sliding sleeve and presses in a fixed replacement.

My Pedersoli has a rendition of the Sam Dobbins o-ring modification. But I think the sliding sleeve negates the effect. Larry uses a much thinner o-ring, which probably gives a tighter fit with less room for recoil/compression.

Anyway the bottom line is my Pedersoli stock would only shoot about 10 shots before the action would become unusable. After Larry's work it now shoots indefinitely.

Steve