PDA

View Full Version : load for a BURNSIDE

toot
07-22-2020, 08:56 AM
I an going to load cases with 30 GRS. of 2FG. and a lubed WONDER WAD or a lubed cloth patch over the load and seat a round ball in case. question is I was concerned about the air space between the cloth patch/felt wad having an air space between the ball & patch/ wad? I hear horror stories about having a pipe bomb with having an air space in weapons. any thing I should worry about?

EPPS1919
07-22-2020, 10:15 AM
Won?t hert a thing the sharps have air gap every shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toot
07-22-2020, 11:01 AM
EEPS1919, thanks for the come back to my question. I know that a SHARPS with loose powder has an air space/gap in the chamber, but I did not know about the air space / gap in the BURNSIDE CARTRIDGE? now that you have put my mind at ease I will be shooting it today. thanking you for the information. TOOT.

toot
07-22-2020, 11:05 AM
EPPS1919, sorry for the misspelling be fore, at 76 yrs old I had a senior moment.TOOT.

Carolina Reb
07-22-2020, 12:05 PM
For some reason Burnsides don't care about the air space. I have tried cotton ball fluffs and cream of wheat over the powder. Cotton fluff works better.

Hal
07-22-2020, 12:19 PM
I've heard this air space thing for years and use to believe it. Here is what I SUSPECT......I SUSPECT it stems from somebody shooting a muzzleloader that was so fouled they were not able to ram the ball home, and pulled the trigger with the ball 6, 8, 10 inches from the bottom.... I can see THAT being a problem. Some small fraction of a cubic inch of air ain't gonna hurt nothin'. If it is, I'd be done done it.

Carolina Reb
07-22-2020, 02:00 PM
An airspace under the bullet will ring your chamber in a regular center fire black powder cartridge. It might take a few rounds to develop. I once replaced missing parts on a very early Trapdoor carbine that had a ringed chamber. It was way too valuable to fix, which was a disappointment to the owner.

Eggman
07-22-2020, 02:58 PM
An airspace under the bullet will ring your chamber in a regular center fire black powder cartridge. It might take a few rounds to develop. I once replaced missing parts on a very early Trapdoor carbine that had a ringed chamber. It was way too valuable to fix, which was a disappointment to the owner.
Totally not signed up for this. Suspect some smokeless powder usage along the way.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
07-23-2020, 10:07 AM
The stories are about Smokeless powder......... Others are about squib loads getting stuck somewhere and then some ?#@$ idiot shooting it again.