PDA

View Full Version : prescription shooting glasses

MR. GADGET
05-13-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm looking for a pair of prescription shooting glasses. I would like to have the yellow lens.
I also would like the wrap around type and not the flat. Is there anyone that has had good luck getting them made or anyone that in in the N-SSA that sells, fits or can help, short of just going to the local place and get them?

Any pointers on a good brand? Size or shape?

Kenny Hodges 10721
05-13-2010, 08:48 AM
you might try Dr. toler in richmond custom sight picture in the links.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
05-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Jon,
Wrap frames can present some real mfg problems if you have much of a corredtion requirement. You may have to settle for just a very large high fitting frame, like the old B&L Shooter or the Decot made by Hy Wyd. Trivex material has the most optical clarity of any except crown glass. It costs more, but what do we spend on the rest of our sport. Any competant, shooting friendly, optometrist can get the job done. Just make sure to ask a lot of questions ahead of time. One of them should be "Can I bring my rifle in so you can properly locate the optical center of the lenses." Also, don't forget to get the best scratch resistant coating available.

Herb Wellman, 11225
05-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Jon - Check out the ESS Eye Safety Systems glasses. They have one called ICE Eyeshields that come with several different lenses. You can also purchase blank inserts for your prescription that fit into the nose piece behind the lense. You can purchase from them or just get the insert as a blank and have your local guy fill the prescription. You can see them at www.opticsplanet.com (http://www.opticsplanet.com). There are others available on that site.

Herb Wellman, 11225
031 - Chartiers Valley Guards

Scott Culver
05-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Depending upon the correction needed, optx 20/20 makes a stick on "bi-focal" you can apply to any pair of glasses.

I just order a pair, haven't tried them yet.

http://www.optx2020.com/

MR. GADGET
05-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Scott let me know what you think about them, for the cost I may try them if you like them.

Don't need much correction, not really using glasses now, but things could be a little more clear if I did.

Don Dixon
05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Contact Dr. Toler in Richmond.

He's a Distinquished Pistol Shot, Distinguished Rifleman, President's Hundred with pistol, and is captain of the All-U.S. Army Reserve Pistol Team, in addition to being an eye doctor. He speaks "shooter," and knows what he's talking about. I've used him for years.

Or, you can use stuff that may or may not work.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

Mike McDaniel
05-29-2010, 12:41 PM
+1 on Dr. Toler. He's got a sight kit that lets you try different adjustments to your base prescription. You pick the refraction and tint that give you the best results.

Scott Culver
05-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Received the stick on bifocals, they work great for reading. Not so great for shooting. With the bifocal installed I could see the rear sight perfectly, unfortunately that's all I could see clearly.

Muley Gil
05-30-2010, 11:07 AM
As many of us know, the eye can not focus on three planes (rear sight, front sight, target) at one time. When we are young, it appears that we can, but what the brain is doing is a rapid picture of the three planes. As we age, the eye/brain doesn't do this task as well.

If we focus on one plane (the FRONT sight) and let the other two blur, we increase our hits. So, we need to find eye doctors that will prescribe glasses for that longer focus.

Unless you're like me, of course. I just shoot with my eyes closed! :D