PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Confederate Sharps Chamber Sleeve

confederate1961
08-15-2008, 09:34 PM
I am posting this for a friend. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if Pedersoli has eliminated the sliding chamber sleeve from their "latest/current" production of their Confederate (Robinson) Sharps carbine? I recently purchased a new carbine from Dixie Gun Works which according to Dixie is supposed to be from the 2007 or 2008 production run. It came with the stainless steel gas plate on the breech block and with a small stainless steel washer acting as a spacer between the gas plate and the block. I have taken the gas plate, washer, and block apart and everything moves freely; however, when I try to remove the chamber sleeve it won't budge - ( The gun is brand new and never been fired ). I can't tell if the sleeve is a separate part and "stuck tight" or if it has been manufactured as part of the chamber. A small portion of the sleeve protrudes from the back of the barrel or chamber but I can detect no seam.

The Owner's Manual that came with the gun has a schematic showing a separate, partially removable sleeve (part # 18). Also the cleaning instructions in the manual detail partially removing and cleaning the sleeve after shooting - however they add the phrase "in rifles that still have this part". The video that came with the gun also shows partially removing the sleeve for cleaning. This gun is the NSSA approved model.

I called Dixie and one of the staff or technicians stated that the sleeve is now manufactured as part of the barrel/chamber and is not removable. Is this statement accurate? Has anyone had a similar experience with a recently purchased percussion Sharps carbine by Pedersoli? I haven't yet received any response from Pedersoli.

I also don't believe the chamber sleeve on this gun is made of stainless steel (as several writers on this website have described the sleeve in their guns). It doesn't have the bright, shiny appearance of the gas check plate which seems to be made of stainless steel. This sleeve looks like it has a case hardened finish.

How can it seal if the sleeve doesn't move backwards?

Any opinion as to which type is better, sliding or fixed?

Last of all: any ideas why Pedersoli would have eliminated the sliding chamber sleeve - (less fouling, easier cleaning, cheaper to make)??? Wasn't the Shiloh Sharps made without a moveable sleeve?

Thanks in advance.
CaseWhite

snapcap14
08-16-2008, 11:46 AM
my votes for fixed.
the washer behind the gas is there adeptation of the O-ring mod. that a lot of guys do. to get a better gas seal.

WV SCROUNGER
08-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I think all the confusion is caused when the term " removeable"
is used to describe the " sliding" sleeve. the sleeve IS NOT 'REMOVEABLE" and never was......but it was a " sliding" sleeve.

with that clarified,,,, My Pedersoli is a buisness rifle '63
when it was brand new, never fired...I could not get the sleeve to budge untill I applied the sleeve tool made by Pedersoli.
So.....I would recommend not ASSUMING the sleeve is fixed untill you apply the sleeve tool......
it may be a sliding sleeve and it just wont budge unless coaxed by the tool....
I do believe the reason for changeing the sliding sleeve to a ' Fixed Sleeve " would be to make the total cleaning procedure much easier...
and production costs Lower....
I have recently acquired a I.A.B. Sporting sharps '63 and after much a do trying to get the sleeve to budge......I now think it is a FIXED sleeve.....which is not meant to move at all......

Wouldnt Christian Sharps cringe if he knew that modern day producers were changeing his Famous Design?????

I wish these companies would be more specific as to which models now have the "FIXED SLEEVE".....FOR THE $$$ THAT THEY ARE CHARGEING FOR THESE RIFLES ONE WOULD THINK that a desigination would be stamped on the barrel ( under the forearm of course.)