PDA

View Full Version : Loose Smith Carbine hinge pin

CAGerringer
07-11-2020, 08:02 PM
With all this down time, I keep finding projects that normally wouldn't be important, but now seem VITAL!

Anyway, I've noticed that the hinge pin on my Smith is loose and a bit wobbly. Is there an easy way to fix this...or do I need a full blown fix by one of our own gunsmiths?
Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Lou Lou Lou
07-11-2020, 09:52 PM
FWIW Gator den used to have a variety of hinge pins in different diameters

CAGerringer
07-12-2020, 10:38 AM
FWIW Gator den used to have a variety of hinge pins in different diameters

Does anyone have a point of contact for Gator Den?
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

John Holland
07-12-2020, 10:40 AM
The "Gator Den" ceased operations several years ago.

Southron Sr.
07-12-2020, 08:20 PM
Anyone that is competent with a metal lathe can make you a replacement hinge pin of the correct diameter..

John Holland
07-13-2020, 08:29 AM
If someone was to have a screw turned on a lathe, be sure the steel is of an alloy that can be hardened. If it isn't hardened it will wear out in a short period of use.

Gary Vikar
07-13-2020, 10:43 PM
Years ago Brian Haack and I would line bore the hinge hole on the barrel lug. The press fit a modern steel insert. This insert was bored to the correct hinge screw. That hinge screw would be harden as not to wear out. The press in hinge insert, Was left a little long. That way we could slow remove metal off the insert to insure a tight fit in the receiver. After 25 years of use by my wife. The Smith carbine is sill tight and takes a little effort to open. My wife won a lot of individual medal and team medals with that carbine. Good luck.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
07-14-2020, 09:43 AM
So what pin size do you need? what size do you have now at its most worn point? What is the size closest to the head of the screw?
That will tell you how worn it is. Maybe then i will have one for you.

CAGerringer
07-14-2020, 10:33 AM
Bruce,
The size of the screw next to the head is .275" and at the worn area .274".
Does that sound right?
Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Bob Gorsky 10483
07-15-2020, 09:59 AM
The correct way to repair it is just what Gary Vikar said. That is the way that I repair them correctly.
Most of the time it's not the pin wearing out but the hole is getting egg-shaped for either lack of lube on the pin or slamming the breech closed during competition which will stretch the hole out of shape. Bob Gorsky

The size of the screw next to the head is .275" and at the worn area .274".
Does that sound right?
Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

CAGerringer
07-15-2020, 10:36 AM
Bob,
That all makes perfect sense. I may be contacting you later about this!
Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Gary Vikar
07-15-2020, 11:00 AM
The correct way to repair it is just what Gary Vikar said. That is the way that I repair them correctly.
Most of the time it's not the pin wearing out but the hole is getting egg-shaped for either lack of lube on the pin or slamming the breech closed during competition which will stretch the hole out of shape. Bob Gorsky

Thanks Bob, I forgot to mentions the egg shape hole.

John Bly
07-15-2020, 08:33 PM
Not only egg shaped but belled also with the ends bigger than the middle. I've honed the holes out on a Sunnen hone to be round and straight and made larger screws. The screw must be a very close fit in the hole in the barrel or the barrel will wobble. Good lubrication is necessary for long service. Since I retired I don't have access to the hone. I prefer to not work on Smiths any more, getting old and cranky I guess.