PDA

View Full Version : WTM / WTS: Peep Sight Tool

762x51
06-17-2020, 10:10 PM
These tools, new, are no longer available.
I have designed a new version and would like to have enough sold to make it worth while to have them made.
The main change was to close the base of the tool so it wouldn't flex when locked onto a sight.
Also changed the size of the right side to make it easy to get to the leaf screw.

To be able to sell them for around $125 will take 25 members of a "group buy" and less then $100 if there are 50 or more.

Please let me know what you think of the design and if you'll become a "group buy member".

Orin

bobanderson
06-18-2020, 07:57 AM
Feedback being offered here. I had an opportunity to buy one of these a couple of years ago, both used and new. I passed because the design is too crude to allow you to make precise adjustments to "dial in" elevation and windage. There should be 4-40 lead screws for both up/down and right/left to facilitate this.

Because I can handle up and down changes with my mill, I made my own device to make windage adjustments in .005" increments on carbine & musket front sights. I would not be interested in buying one of these.

It's not my style to "knock" someone else's products. I'd rather say positive things, if I can. This tool as it was originally offered served a purpose, but in my opinion, for very little extra effort, it could have been a lot better.

762x51
06-18-2020, 08:55 AM
Thanks for saying I was looking to "knock" someones product.

This is something no longer available unless you find a used one.
I did make a couple of improvements to the device.
I would not have spent any time on this project if the original one was still for sale.

MR. GADGET
06-18-2020, 09:13 AM
Fine with the design, have one and would buy another with the improvement of the boxed base. It should keep it tight.
L and R I'm fine with.

To add the screw adjustment up down left and right would be great? But doing so would add a bunch to the price. It was looked at before.

As for the a newer design,.I would check with Tom Crone on his. He was working on a new improved and last he said he was going to produce them. Have not seen his design.

If ther was a way to turn the one or both of the main screws to add steps, grooves, almost like threads and use a pointed set screw so you can move up and down in the notch one at a time, that would be cheap and easy to make it better.

Or Two threaded holes in the adjustment bar left and right of the peep adjustment.
You would only use one but if the peep is more left you could use the threaded hole on the right and so on. That would work for a long set screw that you could turn up or down for at least one fine adjustment. Usine a allen wrench you could see the 1/4 1/2 and full turn.
This adds two steps to the build just using a drill tap.

Anyways, you know me. I'm always game for something I don't have or something improved.

John Bly
06-18-2020, 10:45 AM
The closed box is a good modification. I welded one of the original ones up to have a closed box so it would not flex when clamped. Best of luck to you.

762x51
06-18-2020, 10:50 AM
The closed box is a good modification. I welded one of the original ones up to have a closed box so it would not flex when clamped. Best of luck to you.

I just got off the phone with George (Tennessee bullet molds) and we talked about that very thing.
Closing in the end and making it longer will solve some issues.
George will look over my design next week.

Maillemaker
06-18-2020, 11:58 AM
Thanks for saying I was looking to "knock" someones product.

I think you are misunderstanding what Bob was saying. He was not saying you were looking to knock someone's product.

He was said:

It's not my style to "knock" someone else's products.

What I believe he means to say is he was not trying to knock (talk bad about) your product. He was simply offering helpful suggestions.

Steve

CAGerringer
06-18-2020, 10:55 PM
There is no doubt...you need a solid box to get the accuracy, you're doing all this work to achieve. The flex inherent in the old open frame ruins the whole project. Every time you put it on the sight it MUST be the same P.S.I. on the screws on the side of the sight base, or your attempts are guesses. I'll buy a closed frame!!!
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

bobanderson
06-19-2020, 12:50 PM
What I believe he means to say is he was not trying to knock (talk bad about) your product. He was simply offering helpful suggestions.

Steve

Thank's Steve. That was exactly my intent.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions", from Henry G. Bohn, A Hand-book of Proverbs in 1855.

Fortitudine
06-19-2020, 07:42 PM
The flexing is an issue on the original one I bought, but with the open design, in can be used on different styles of sights.

Rob FreemanWBR
06-20-2020, 06:04 AM
I'm curious as to what these tools/devices are used for.

Granted it's clearly for a piece's rear/peep sight, but what does it do? Does it determine where the peep's hole needs to be for the requisite sight picture and resulting point of impact?

Des
06-20-2020, 07:54 AM
Rob that is exactly what it does. It allows you to adjust the peep of the device to get your point of impact and then you install the blank sight blade while the device is installed and mark the spot on the blade where you drill the peep. This shows a set up I made using a modified Lyman rifle peep sight

Rob FreemanWBR
06-20-2020, 10:39 AM
Thx Des!

But if a peep sight is already affixed, one can simply shoot their piece (shooters choice, either a 6 o'clock or center-of-mass point of aim) and if load, bore etc work in harmony - obtain a nice definitive (tight) group. Then using the center of said group, and distances (lateral and horizontal) to where the group NEEDS to be, trigonometry tables per sight radius & target distance will quickly determine where a new peep needs to be drilled into a blank sight leaf.

Granted even if starting from scratch, the same can be achieved with a pair of repo L shaped leafs. One will simply have to be "sacrificed" with initial holes drilled for 50 & 100. But then it's simply a matter of getting good groups on paper. From there, measurements and conversions can be made - and from that, using the calc'd adjustments (both for windage & elevation) the second leaf can then be drilled precisely where the peep holes are needed for the desired point of impact.

Des
06-20-2020, 12:02 PM
I am sure that works I just had an old sight and had used another persons rig , liked it so made my own.

gmkmd
07-01-2020, 04:03 PM
To answer your initial question; Yes, I am definitely interested in buying one.

david eye 10882
07-01-2020, 09:12 PM
I will take one

remington1858
07-02-2020, 11:32 PM
I'm in. Email sent.

Wes