PDA

View Full Version : Smoothbore advice

Scott Lynch 1460V
05-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Just bought an H&P Conversion, has a Hoyt barrel my micrometer says the bore diameter is .682 any body want to recommend a ball size and source for a mould?? Thanks much Scott

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
05-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Scott,

I would try a .678 round ball, Lyman makes the mold and Track of the Wolf has them in stock.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

I shoot 55 grains of Goex 3F, with Liquid Alox as the lube. I dimple the balls up by rattling them around in a can. Then I squirt a bit of Alox on the balls, put them in a Tupperware container and roll them around a bit to cover them with a thin layer of lube. Let them sit a day for the lube to harden and they are ready to load.

All that said, a .678 ball might be a tight fit in a .682 bore, especially after you shoot the first couple of rounds. If you want some rounds to try out see me at the Nationals.

Phil

Scott Lynch 1460V
05-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the informaton Phil. I'll check out the website an re measure the bore because it seems smaller than the size stamped on the bottom of the barrel. I'll be at the Nationals on Wed night or Thurs morning. I'll look you up. Scott Lynch

Greg Ogdan, 11444
05-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Scott,
I had Bobby do a barrel in my Potsdam a couple of years ago and he told me at the time that the bore diameter he goes for is .687 Just FWIW.