PDA

View Full Version : MG217 is a SCAMMER so don't fall for it

RaiderANV
05-27-2020, 10:42 AM
He'll message you he has what you are looking for and it's located in Texas and bla bla bla

Smokepole50
05-27-2020, 11:01 AM
Thanks for your investigation work Pat. I was tempted to send this guy some money for a mold but as I mentioned to you I smelled a rat when he only had one view of a mold and could not provide pictures of any mold numbers. Sadly, in a attempt to make him show his colors I gave him some more information on that .520 RCBS Miniball mold in the form of pictures.

Rob FreemanWBR
05-27-2020, 01:38 PM
He'll message you he has what you are looking for and it's located in Texas and bla bla bla

MANY thanks PJ. Your timing is just as impeccable as that of AP Hill at Antietam!

The subject individual did in fact put me in touch with a Richard Brewer of Pilot Point,Texas. He supposedly has a very nice 3 Band Ballard in .46 rf, for $1850.00 shipped. Money was not exchanged, but the seller appeared to be on the up and up after making initial email contact last night.

Thanks again brother, for the heads up!

It looks like I am, ?still in the hunt? for a Ballard rifle. At least my wallet is still in tact.

Dwambaugh
05-27-2020, 03:58 PM
This is apparently something that this person is trying to do on a number of forums. I did a Google search for the email address he provided and found this recent discussion on a musical instrument forum:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7765097

Smokepole50
05-27-2020, 04:18 PM
This is his first response back to me when I enquired about the mold.......

Hello Randall,

Yes I have it available in excellent condition let me know the convenient time for you to pick it up I?m Texas.

604 N.church St Pilot Point,
Texas, 76258

Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 9:49 PM +0100

lmcmahon
05-27-2020, 04:59 PM
He?s been banned. Thanks for heads up on this.

keweenaw
05-27-2020, 05:23 PM
Thank you for this thread!

A while back, i spotted a gun I wanted on a gun auction site (not here). Was very interested in it. Almost pulled the trigger on it, but was suspicious. I looked on some other sites and found the exact same gun on another site that had sold. Turns out the scammer guy had copied the pictures and even the description, word for word, from that legitimate sale on the second auction site. Same gun, same serial number. I contacted the individual on the second site, and he confirmed that he had sold the gun to a person in another part of the country as a legitimate sale. When I backed out of the scammer sale, the scammer guy started manipulating his terms to get me to complete the sale. Tried all kinds of emotional tricks as well. I did not buy the gun, thank God! You've got to be careful.

noonanda
05-27-2020, 09:24 PM
What blows my mind is that these guys would try to scam a gun owner. I mean I might be a law abiding citizen, but if you cost me enough money Im gonna pay you a visit, or have someone I know.

RaiderANV
05-27-2020, 09:52 PM
The address he uses is 36 miles from me here in Texas. The girl at the post office told me that any mail going to that address with his name on it is being forwarded to a city in California. She wouldn't say which.

The scam goes like this. I moved from that address to Cali. I did in fact have said item and agreed to sell it. I received the money and let it clear then I did in fact ship said item. There is NO PROOF he didn't so no proof of fraud. Obviously the post office lost it. The police have no case.

This is the fourth time I've caught this and pretty sure it's the same azzhat. I just don't have the power to freeze said account the second I spot them anymore........

NOTE----->> ANY TIME you want to send someone money ask for extra pictures. I ALWAYS get them to send a pix of the item laying on their kitchen table with a piece of mail in the photo with their name on it. ANYWAYS! I've even asked for a selfie of them with item in the picture. Only ever had one kid refuse and I passed and the next guy in line got burned.

762x51
05-27-2020, 10:02 PM
Pat,

Is there a way to scan a photo sent you to see if was taken from another web page?

RaiderANV
05-27-2020, 10:09 PM
yes. You can even enter it into google photo search and it will search the entire internet and return any like photos. He lifts chit he uses from many sites. He's actually pretty good at it.

762x51
05-27-2020, 10:13 PM
Thanks PJ -

Folks should also be VERY cautious of anything listed on www.a (http://www.armsliat.com)rmslist.com

Yakiman
05-27-2020, 10:19 PM
Thanks PJ -

Folks should also be VERY cautious of anything listed on http://www.armsliat.com

That's true but I do use Armslist a lot. But it's local and face to face.

Occupied Maryland
05-28-2020, 10:38 AM
RaiderANV alerted to me to possible scammer when I was looking for a PH Whitworth a while back. Guy had just what I wanted, NIB . Sent picture. When I asked for a picture of the gun with a dime beside the SN# he was somewhere and gun was elsewhere at Mom's and I smelled a rat, having seen this on big buck air rifles. Bought one from auction site from seller with a record.

Maillemaker
05-28-2020, 05:20 PM
The picture with dime/mail is a great idea!

Steve

MR. GADGET
05-28-2020, 06:13 PM
I always ask details only a person that has it in their possession would know and also something that requires a picture.
Like can you lay down a tape so I know the overall length of the barrel and send picture or detail picture of the x side of the rear sight.
Deal too good or hard is not worth my time.

Rob FreemanWBR
06-26-2020, 04:19 PM
Thx to this particular thread I?ve been saved from considerable aggravation!

Case point - yesterday I was emailed out of the blue by an individual claiming to have a nice Ballard 3 Band...

When I asked for a pic of the piece with a dime and a nickel in the frame he didn?t understand what I was requesting... After a short explanation, the jack hole never responded back. What a low life, POS.

Anyhow, I?m extremely appreciative of the great advice, from the many noteworthy and well-meaning individuals who frequent this forum!

Lou Lou Lou
06-26-2020, 04:38 PM
Rob
they mine the threads looking for something someone has been chasing for a while. Low lifes

Rob FreemanWBR
06-26-2020, 05:02 PM
You?re entirely right L3 on all accounts.

I find myself having conflicting feelings of both disgust and empathy for this sort...

John Holland
06-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Rob - I have no empathy whatsoever because they are criminals, plain and simple.

lmcmahon
06-26-2020, 07:28 PM
MG217 was permanently banned several weeks ago

JW 5875V
06-26-2020, 10:23 PM
Yep!,
Scammers everywhere.
Craigs List has them for farm tractors all the time.
Had time to play so I inquired about a tractor "Deal".
Well the reply was that it he was doing it his mother and
pre screening replies??? Ha
Gave me her email and she replied with a tearful story? Ha

The tractor was her dads, he passed away, it was in storage and
she had no use for it??
SO tractor is in storage at an Air Force Base in Texas, she is getting ready to deploy
to Iraq and needs to sell it immediately!!!!!!!!!???????
Had Air Force unit name!!!!!!
Pay Pal will handle the transaction and shipping --------- Guaranteed!
Well told her that I could come to Texas and would like to see the tractor,
save shipping because I could transport it myself.

Sent three emails ------- never replied back!!!!!!

Should have contacted Air Force unit she listed to see if she was actually on unit roster.

Every time that I see a tractor "Deal" that smells, I flag them.

Last nite I flagged 45 of them from surrounding cities with same / close description.
As soon as you request location to see it --- they run.

Jim Whitehouse Sr. 5875V
Allegheny City Guards

Rob FreemanWBR
06-27-2020, 12:02 AM
Yep!,

Should have contacted Air Force unit she listed to see if she was actually on unit roster.

Jim, PM or email "her" name and unit that was referenced. I'll tell you either way within minutes.