PDA

View Full Version : Maynard cases

mikeE
05-20-2020, 03:23 PM
Just wondering, has anyone ever made Maynard cases out of other metals such as aluminum or stainless steel ? Don't know if this was tried before. Was just wondering if they would hold up. I hate cleaning brass!

Lou Lou Lou
05-20-2020, 03:45 PM
CharliecHahn makes aluminum Maynard cases to order

John Holland
05-20-2020, 06:04 PM
In my personal opinion, only, if you don't like cleaning Brass cases.....you REALLY won't like keeping Aluminum cases from corroding!

mikeE
05-20-2020, 09:03 PM
Your probably right John. Didn't think of that. I would much rather continue with the plastic cases, they really worked for me. But they are getting hard to find.

maynard6
05-20-2020, 10:01 PM
Your probably right John. Didn't think of that. I would much rather continue with the plastic cases, they really worked for me. But they are getting hard to find.

I've been shooting the same cases for 15 yrs . After coming off the line I throw them into a can of Dawn detergent. When I get home I rinse them with hot H2o ,throw them into an ultrasonic cleaner .rinse them off an ultrasonic. I then tumble them . Sounds like a lot off messing around but it is very fast. I usually have them 1/2 ultasonic before I have put away my gear from a skirmish . That is merely one way .

bobanderson
05-21-2020, 07:51 AM
Just wondering, has anyone ever made Maynard cases out of other metals such as aluminum or stainless steel ? Don't know if this was tried before. Was just wondering if they would hold up. I hate cleaning brass!

I have about 30 cases turned from stainless steel for my 36 caliber 1st model Romano Maynard. These were made by a highly qualified machinist specifically for my gun. I've used them for over 10 years and they clean and perform flawlessly. I think commercially produced stainless steel Maynard brass would be very popular.

As far as cleaning brass, I've got it down to a science. I wet wash clean my brass using ceramic media in a Thumler's rock tumbler and one of the new Frankfort Arsenal case dryers. My brass gets 2-4 hours in the washer, about 90 minutes in the dryer and it is ready to reload. I use a rotary media separator from Midway to separate things out.

The ceramic media leaves the brass looking brand new, inside, out and even the primer pockets.

The media comes from a friend of mine here in Michigan. It costs about $9 a pound and he sells a special case cleaning soap for about $15 a quart. (You only use a capful per batch so it lasts a loooooooong time.)

bobanderson
05-21-2020, 09:36 AM
The media comes from a friend of mine here in Michigan. It costs about $9 a pound and he sells a special case cleaning soap for about $15 a quart. (You only use a capful per batch so it lasts a loooooooong time.)

Here is the contact info to get ceramic case cleaning media and soap,

Greg Vest
5864 N. Bollinger Rd.
Vestaburg, MI 48891

Gvest67@yahoo.com

(989)330-5179

3mm ceramic media is now $10 per pound.
Soap is $15 a quart.
Shipping is actual cost.

mikeE
05-21-2020, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the help.

John Bly
05-21-2020, 08:37 PM
I use both brass cases and also some aluminum cases from Charlie Hahn. My aluminum cases do not corrode after properly cleaning them. I run them in a rotary tumbler with steel pins and dawn soap for about an hour. Then I rinse them thoroughly and let dry. They keep from fall to spring with no corrosion. They won't last as long as brass cases because the flash holes burn out sooner. I threw a few out because they cracked in the neck area but that is the only problem I've had.

gjwarren
05-23-2020, 11:13 AM
Off the line I put brass tubes in a screw top container full of dawn, simple green and water. They shake on the 2.5 hour ride home. At home I pour out the dirty solution (after using it to clean revolver, Henry/Ballard, rough clean musket, and my hands.) then I rinse the tubes in hot water in the container, dump them out on a towel, let them dry & put them in my bin for reloading. They ?look? dirty, but load & shoot fine - won 4 natl championships. Every year or 2 I tumble them in walnut media with dawn for a few hours, but hate cleaning the media from the flash holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob FreemanWBR
05-23-2020, 09:32 PM
Off the line I put brass tubes in a screw top container full of dawn, simple green and water. They shake on the 2.5 hour ride home. At home I pour out the dirty solution (after using it to clean revolver, Henry/Ballard, rough clean musket, and my hands.) then I rinse the tubes in hot water in the container, dump them out on a towel, let them dry & put them in my bin for reloading. They ?look? dirty, but load & shoot fine - won 4 natl championships. Every year or 2 I tumble them in walnut media with dawn for a few hours, but hate cleaning the media from the flash holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GJ,

Per your earlier thread, I too hated cleaning my Maynard brass flash holes of crushed walnut media residue. Remedy was to switch to stainless steel media!

Media, some Dawn and water in the tumbler yields bright and clean brass, INSIDE AND OUT, with no obstructions to the touch holes. Best of all the media NEVER wears out - it will literally last a lifetime.

Hope this helps!