PDA

View Full Version : this bring a smile?

Dave Fox
05-20-2020, 10:39 AM
This bring a smile to anyone else?

geezmo
05-20-2020, 11:10 AM
Probably just us old people. Do you still have what was shipped in that?

Barry S.

Bob Roberts
05-20-2020, 11:57 AM
In the winter of 1958 after reaching age 16 and then able to join the 1st Pa Arty after attending the 18th National as a guest, I found my way to Stokes Kirk for the first time. I lived in Springfield, Delco, PA and I rode the Red Arrow Trolley to 69th street terminal, transferred to the Frankford Elevated/Subway train to center city Philadelphia, and then rode on a 1930 Presidential Commission green/cream with dark tan accent trim PTC street car north on either 5th or 12th street (iirc) to the store. After a number of such visits I became well enough known to be permitted to spend unsupervised time in the back room where the long arms were kept, I was never, however, allowed to visit the upper floor or basement storage. I obtained most of my original leather accoutrements there and a few years later as a founding member of the 118th PVI we contracted with SK to manufacture the bummer style hats we wore, original hat buttons and original tarred chin straps were easily found there, I still have mine. Probably the purchase I recall most was a Smith carbine with untouched bore, clean exterior and very good wood, missing only a trigger guard, which brought the price down to $12. It went down the road some time later in a trade to one of the other guys, but I would not be surprised if it still finds it way on occasion to the line at the Fort. Thanks for the memory trigger, Bob Roberts, 10th Va Vol Inf

Maillemaker
05-20-2020, 04:23 PM
What is it?

Steve

geezmo
05-20-2020, 05:55 PM
Steve,

You're obviously not one of us old people. It's a shipping label from a box that contained an old surplus treasure, possibly civil war, that Mr. Fox purchased from the Stokes Kirk company. It was probably from the '60's era as it shows zip codes. If memory serves me correctly, we didn't have postal zip codes until some time in the early to mid 60's.

Barry Selzner

Kurt Lacko 7862
05-20-2020, 07:05 PM
Bob Roberts, check your PM's for a trip down memory lane.

Kurt

Dave Fox
05-20-2020, 07:43 PM
...an M.1881 cavalry dress helmet.