PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Forearms

BADSHOT
05-16-2020, 05:28 PM
I just wanted to give credit to one of our NSSA Members., John Bly. I have been restoring muskets for many years, and I have used many forearms made by various makers, but the ones John Bly is selling currently are the best ones I have ever used. The wood is superb as is the quality, which makes these forearms very easy to work with. I have not heard if he has or will be making full stock blanks or not, but if he does I would surely like to try one of those also.
So in closing, if you have a musket to stretch and need a forearm-These are the best I've ever seen.

Thanks John for supplying such a great product.
Steve Doyle

John Bly
05-16-2020, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the good words Steve, but most of the credit goes to the guy who carves the stocks - Mark Fleet. He is manufacturing and I am marketing. It is my machine but it is in his shop because he has a fairly complete woodworking shop with a dust collector. We both got tired of getting substandard forend extensions for guns we were restoring. We make sure the patterns are correct. You can't make good pieces with bad patterns. Both he and I spend the time needed to make the patterns right, filing and fitting and building up low places, etc. If it is not something we would use we won't ship it out. It is that simple.

The machine is too small to make full stock blanks and we won't be doing any of those. The long forend extensions for full length 1861/63 and 1816/42 are problem enough. It is good on buttstocks such as Maynards, Ballards, etc. We don't have a Smith pattern and they have the additional issue of the through hole so we aren't thinking of them at the present time.

I hope the stock your wife bought for you at Christmas turned out well.