PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Smith Tubes

SBALLA
05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
After 5 years of development and testing I am now offering Rubber Smith Tubes for sale at www.shelltube.us (http://www.shelltube.us). These tubes seal the chamber when fired and prevent gases from escaping from the breach. They last as long or longer then the standard unmodified black plastic tubes, and hey hold the same amount of powder. Because no gas escapes it keeps the breach of the gun from fouling up and maintains consistant gas pressure.

I will have a limited number to sell at the Spring Nationals (about 1,000) if you would like to try them out. They cost $35 for 50 tubes.

I should be at the Fort Tuesday night thru Sunday. I am with the Huron Rangers in Area 2.
For a map go to www.shelltube.us (http://www.shelltube.us)\Huron Rangers Campsite.pdf

It will be first come first serve.

Steve Balla
Yore Supply Company

oscarlovel
05-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Will you be making more? I'd like to order some by mail if possible.

SBALLA
05-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Hopefully many many more. I have only just started production.
If you want to order by mail go to the website and print out the order form, fill it out and send it to me with a check or money order and I will ship them out to you.

Gary B
05-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Steve,
I camp across the street from you. I'll stop by and take a look at them. Do you offer sample packs ?
Thanks,
Gary B.

SBALLA
05-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Sorry no sample packs for these tubes, just 50 piece packages.
Believe me, once you use these tubes you will never want to go back to the plastic ones again. My father has been using them for about 5 years now and he loves them.

oscarlovel
05-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Dropping an order for 50 tubes in the mail today. Will try them and probably be ordering more.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
05-12-2010, 02:36 PM
I'd like 50. Will look you up at the Fort, probably Thu nite. Thanks for map.

MR. GADGET
05-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I would like 50 to try.

I will get up at the fort, will be around T-F-S-S

Stan Hungness
05-16-2010, 10:26 PM
I'd like to try 50 or 100, I'll see you at the Fort most likely Thursday.

Stan Hungness, 56th VA

Bob Huntoon
06-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Steve,

You going to be at Blue Water on Sunday the 24th?

Would like to see the tubes

Bob

Ken Hansgen, 11094
06-13-2010, 08:16 PM
I tried mine out yesterday -- decided to stick with my old black plastic tubes for now as I concluded they grouped better. Also had several misfires when I covered the vent hole on the rubber tubes with a paper sticker -- the holes are very small and I think the paper got stuck in them -- decided the paper covering is not necessary as the holes didn't leak any powder anyhow.

Claypipe
07-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Sorry no sample packs for these tubes, just 50 piece packages.
Believe me, once you use these tubes you will never want to go back to the plastic ones again. My father has been using them for about 5 years now and he loves them.

You should really offer sample packs. Many of us are cautious citizens, and would like to test the waters first. Just my two pence

Bob Huntoon
07-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Claypipe,

My wife would beg to differ on that cautious purchaser thing --- She seems to be under the impression that I have never seen askirmish bullet mould that I have not, or will not buy!

Have not convinced her yet that they breed and multiply in the dark of the work shop.

In the 40+ years I have skirmished, Balla is making the 9th type of case for shooting the Smith Carbine I have used!

The tenth if we count the time I shot a loaner gun that used the loaned cartridges (the team needed a shooter to make them legal) that came with it made from a length of GARDEN HOSE with a bullet at one end and a cork at the other! Load the tube, pull the cork, close the piece, cap the gun and there you go! AH! Skirmish history!

Bob

R. McAuley 3014V
07-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Bob,

Don't recall hearing anything mentioned about any garden hose and cork, but I do recall hearing some of our "elder" members reminisce of shooting Smith carbines using rubber tubing (possibly cut from a garden hose) as a gas seal at the breech, but loading the carbines as "muzzle-loaders" was what stood out in my mind. That had to be pretty tricky.

jbarber
07-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Back in the late '60's, Smith shooters in the 110th OVI used Tygon plastic surgical tubing with 1/2" inside diameter as cases. The tubing was cut to the correct cartridge length and one end was plugged with a tapered cork. Forty grains of 2F was added and the bullet placed in the other end. Shooting this round required some care. The barrel , when the action was opened, was placed in a nearly vertical position, the round inserted and the cork carefully twsted out. Then, the butt portion of the carbine was brought up, still nearly vertical until the spring snapped closed.
I wonder if this was the type of round that Digger encountered? The tubing did look like a piece of cheap unreinforced garden hose. Jon Barber 1483V, 110th OVI

Bob Huntoon
07-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Jon,

In my memory (which is NOT as good as it used to be) it was just common ordinary green garden hose.

Glad we have made progress!

Bob