04-23-2020, 06:34 PM
What are folks using at the rear of Hahns tubes to seal the powder ?thanks

P.Altland
04-23-2020, 07:43 PM
Cigarette rolling papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K. Herrick
04-23-2020, 09:02 PM
Telephone book paper. One book will last you a lifetime and then some, its also free.

Kevin

Michael Bodner
04-23-2020, 09:51 PM
Charlie will tell you: Tissue paper. Push into tube with a dowel and flatten on bottom. Then dip into Minwax Polycrylic protective finish (blue label) to seal.

Maillemaker
04-23-2020, 10:29 PM
I use Hair Curler Paper for the back end of my hand-rolled tubes. I bought a 1" hand punch and I can punch out 4 circles out of a single square of the tissue. Punch through a 50 or more sheets at a whack - I can knock out hundreds of little disks in a minute. Then I use a dowel slightly smaller than the tube. Wipe some glue on the inside of the end of the tube, then fold the paper disk over the end of the dowel, shove it through the tube until it comes to rest on the glue, pull out dowel.

Steve

maynard6
04-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Thanks all .I shoot a MAynard but want to play with a Sharps .Thanks again everyone Bob

Rick R
04-24-2020, 04:59 PM
That's funny Bob I shoot a sharps and want to play with a Maynard. You shoot that Maynard too darned well glad to see you change!

Is your Sharps .54 cal or .50? I haven't had any luck getting Charlie's tubes to shoot out of my .50 Shiloh. I haven't tried shellac on the ID yet, that's the last thing Charlie mentioned. I think Kevin has a .50, must have found the magic.

gemmer
04-24-2020, 06:05 PM
I use Hair Curler Paper for the back end of my hand-rolled tubes. I bought a 1" hand punch and I can punch out 4 circles out of a single square of the tissue. Punch through a 50 or more sheets at a whack - I can knock out hundreds of little disks in a minute. Then I use a dowel slightly smaller than the tube. Wipe some glue on the inside of the end of the tube, then fold the paper disk over the end of the dowel, shove it through the tube until it comes to rest on the glue, pull out dowel.

Steve
I use a punch with curler power too but I dip the end of the tube in Tite Bond and then center it over the disc and crimp the paper around the bottom sides of the tube.

mgmradio
04-24-2020, 06:38 PM
I use curler paper also, but a friend showed me a time saving tip.
thin out elmers glue. Lay a few sheets on wax paper. Dip the base of the tube in the elmers and set them on the curler paper. When they have dried just flip them over and light the corners of the paper. They burn off the paper between the tubes.

EPPS1919
04-24-2020, 07:39 PM
I use curler paper also, but a friend showed me a time saving tip.
thin out elmers glue. Lay a few sheets on wax paper. Dip the base of the tube in the elmers and set them on the curler paper. When they have dried just flip them over and light the corners of the paper. They burn off the paper between the tubes.

I make mine the same way. Really fast to make I use 1.2 inch tubes and 42gr 3f no filler It?s a tac driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K. Herrick
04-24-2020, 09:17 PM
Yes Rick we did figure out the "magic" for a 50 caliber Sharps as a matter of fact, my son Tim won first place 50 yrd expert class last Fall Nationals!!

Kevin

Maillemaker
04-24-2020, 11:16 PM
I got 50 glued up with my new modified Ordnance Manual pattern. Instead of rectangular pieces rolled into tubes, these are trapezoids. Makes for a stronger cartridge. I'm going to go shooting on Sunday to see if they will blast clear of the breech on use. I also made these out of regular computer paper instead of the 17 pound vellum I normally use. I also made up a few with the vellum and the modified OM pattern to see how they do, too.

This is the Eras Gone Richmond Laboratories Sharps bullet. I like using it with paper cartridges because it has a long heel so it stays glued in its tube.

https://i.imgur.com/1Qjm0DQl.jpg

Full size here: https://i.imgur.com/1Qjm0DQ.jpg

Charlie Hahn
04-27-2020, 10:39 AM
Here is the detail on what I recommend for closing the base. This is an evolved process and what I like to use. If coating the tube is required I like shellac and the inside does not need to be 100% covered. This just makes the tube more brittle and helps it to break up. The information is on my website, hahnmachineworks.com.

Charlie

Paper on base, and cartridge assembly:

There are several ways. The one you heard me talk about is as follows.

Cut the hair curler paper into 5/8 to 3/4 squares. I take about 20 sheets of paper, and staple along one edge, mark it into squares and cut with sharp scissors.

Lay these out on a table, (careful not to sneeze). Take a butter lid and put a puddle of Elmer's white glue and spread it out. Dip the end of the tube in the glue, then press the tube onto the paper, place open end down in a loading block and arrange the tubes with the corners touching. Light the edge of one and just wait. It will burn the excess off and set the glue. This needs to be done while the glue is still wet, so I keep it at about 25 at a time. You will need to do maybe 5 until you get the hang of it. Sometimes the flame will jump over and burn out the middle, just re-glue and go again.

maynard6
04-27-2020, 01:36 PM
That's funny Bob I shoot a sharps and want to play with a Maynard. You shoot that Maynard too darned well glad to see you change!

Is your Sharps .54 cal or .50? I haven't had any luck getting Charlie's tubes to shoot out of my .50 Shiloh. I haven't tried shellac on the ID yet, that's the last thing Charlie mentioned. I think Kevin has a .50, must have found the magic.
Don't know if I am going to switch as yet but going to hve some fun . Bob