PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning your musket tubes

Joe Plakis, 9575V
05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Okay I have been shooting since 1997, and we all know that musket tubes get dirty. So way back then I thought hell I will sneak them into the laundry machine at my parents house. All has gone really well until today, the top got ripped off the box.

This was the same day we washed all of our shooting towels so mom never knew the tubes were in there, until today.

Problem: Mom got one of those new front loading washing machines. The noise was what ruined it!!!!!!

Warning if you had a top loading washing machine and your significant other did not know you were washing your tubes in the washing machine, do not let them buy a front loading machine! Green

Ron/The Old Reb
05-12-2010, 09:14 AM
"Warning if you had a top loading washing machine and your significant other did not know you were washing your tubes in the washing machine, do not let them buy a front loading machine! "

I take it that you are now outside sleeping with the dog. Green

I use a medium laundry detergent bottle like Tide or Cheer with a handle. I fill it half full of water and then add ( I use a 35mm film container to measure with, filled to the top.) Simple green an equal amount of ammonia, and a good squirt of Dawn dish detergent. I take this down to the line and as I shoot I put the tubes in it. When I get home I let them soak in the solution for about a week and shake every once and a while. Dump them out and rinse in cold water. They come out very clean. :D

PS. A little more work but it saves getting killed.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
05-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I also shake them (when dry) in a large covered can with some cornstarch so no gunpowder will stick inside later. The black neoprene tubes seem to get a little sticky after washing otherwise. I don't wash them every time, tho', just wipe them with a cloth usually.

05-13-2010, 01:38 PM
You guys are all washed up. The easiest way is to get a small zippered mesh bag. They sell them at the supermarket, in the laundry aisle, for women to put delicates in when they launder them. Put your plastic tubes in there and toss it into the wash. It's not particularly noisy with a front-loading machine. The tubes come out squeaky clean, and you don't have to sorting through the whole load to find them. I wash my plastic Smith tubes, LDPE musket tubes, and vinyl smoothbore tubes after every match.

Southron Sr.
06-16-2010, 04:06 PM
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER try to wash your CAT and powder tubes in a washing machine at the same time.

NUF SAID....

BillWeitz
06-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I found the pistol tubes get stuck in the musket tubes. Hold water real well. Pistol tubes don't need washed anyway.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
06-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Well there is a shoot this weekend and the tubes are washed again, Southron I must say your advice to not wash the Cat was not good advice. I washed the neighbors cat that craps in my parents flower beds with the tubes and have not seen the Cat since Green

dml1296
12-17-2010, 02:34 AM
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER try to wash your CAT and powder tubes in a washing machine at the same time.

NUF SAID....

This works well. I drop the tubes in the toilet with a little detergent. The I drop the cat in and shut the lid....quickly. After about 5 minutes, open the bathroom window, remove the screen if there is one and open the toilet lid. I recommend that you do not stand between the toilet and the window. :wink:

You now have clean tubes, a clean toilet and a clean cat. Three stones killed with one bird.

Note: Depending on the size of the cat, you may have to open the window in advance and stand on the toilet lid.

pastore
12-17-2010, 10:51 AM

NUF SAID....

This works well. I drop the tubes in the toilet with a little detergent. The I drop the cat in and shut the lid....quickly. After about 5 minutes, open the bathroom window, remove the screen if there is one and open the toilet lid. I recommend that you do not stand between the toilet and the window. :wink:

You now have clean tubes, a clean toilet and a clean cat. Three stones killed with one bird.

Note: Depending on the size of the cat, you may have to open the window in advance and stand on the toilet lid.

Can you post a video of this process ? I CAN'T WAIT !!!!!! :lol:

dml1296
12-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Can you post a video of this process ? I CAN'T WAIT !!!!!! :lol:

I would, but my camera fell in the toilet. :oops: Sorry. :(

pastore
12-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I hate it when that happens.

Caedmon
01-04-2011, 03:11 AM
There are ways how to clean the musket tubes. Just go on the Goggle site and you can search for it. However, I would like to share a link with all of you. I hope it can help even in a little way. xxx.6nc.org/about6nc/musket_cleaning.htm.