PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Hahn Tubes question

Paul L
04-22-2020, 09:13 AM
Hi All,

I am relatively new to the Sharps Carbine world. I have using a Smith and Maynard for over 20 years, and wanted to try my hand at a Sharps (just for a chance of pace). The tubes Charlie Hahn produces helps a lot n the cartridge making that's for sure. My question si do people use filler in these tubes for a Sharps (like a Smith or Maynard may use), or do you generally fill the tube with BP and not filler? I have read many posts that say filler in a Sharps is not a good thing, then I read some people using a filler substance like a wad or paper rolled into a ball, etc.

What advice do you Sharp shooters have on this question?

Thanks!

Paul
15th VA Cavalry

K. Herrick
04-22-2020, 10:47 AM
I shoot a Shiloh Sharps carbine and it takes the 1.2 Hahn tube with 40gr. 2f Goex no filler necessary since it fills the tube. I also have blank peep sights available if your interested.

Kevin
46th Illinois

Maillemaker
04-22-2020, 03:14 PM
On Hanhn's web page he advises against filler and says the air gap is fine. He recommends with reduced loads to put a cardboard wad glued in on top of the powder. This keeps the powder at the back of the chamber for consistent ignition. Also if a bullet comes loose you don't end up with powder everywhere.

I roll my own tubes and use the wad method. I use 45 grains 3F Goex with the Eras Gone Richmond Laboratories Sharps bullet. A 17/32 brass tube makes a great mandrel for rolling paper.

Steve

gemmer
04-22-2020, 04:48 PM
Charlie's tubes fit very well in a .517 push through sizing die. I give the powder a little compression with my Rapine press. My Pedersoli sporter likes a 60gr Swiss 2f charge.

P.Altland
04-22-2020, 06:05 PM
Hahn tubes 1.125 with 35 gr of 3f Goex in a Garrett Carbine. No powder compression, No filler. Tubes would not burst and leave the chamber with filler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce Cobb 1723V
04-23-2020, 11:30 AM
I tried round foam weather stripping worked good as a filler. Cut to length.

Paul L
04-27-2020, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies! This is great information!

Paul L
15th Virginia Cavalry