PDA

View Full Version : Smith Carbine Cap Flash Channel

Ron S
04-10-2020, 06:11 AM
I purchased an very clean original Smith Carbine and while cleaning I found the flash channel has a partial blockage. My fear is that someone that had it before me used a small drill bit to clean the flash hole and snapped it off. I can blow air through the nipple and get air flow. I believe the channel should be clear like my Sharps and Burnside but you never know if the old Smith gun makers knew something we didn't.
Any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Lou Lou Lou
04-10-2020, 08:30 AM
If it?s in the nipple , replace the nipple

ms3635v
04-10-2020, 04:06 PM
Try removing the screw in the bolster take a small drill bit (smaller than the flash hole and channel) and carefully push it into the bolster with your fingers and see how far it will go. You may be able to determine, if it's blocked, where the blockage is.

Ron S
04-11-2020, 05:50 AM
Not in the nipple, bolster is clean, blocked approximately 3/8" in where the cartridge base contact is.

singleshot
04-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Insert the clean out screw, stand the gun up right put some penetrating oil in the flash channel ( Liquid Wrench) and let it sit for a couple of days then try blow it out. If that doesn't work U have a real problem like U may have suggested a broken drill bit.

efritz
04-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Ron.
lt appears you?re stepping into unknown territory of your knowledge. Dirty Harry said it best. A man has to know his limitations. Did I fire 5 or did I fire 6. Take take that piece to someone who knows. Someone that has one or a gunsmith before you or anyone else makes it worse. Just saying.