PDA

View Full Version : Potsdam nipples

jonk
04-10-2020, 12:12 AM
As anyone who has a Potsdam knows, the original nipples are of original style; which is to say, they have a huge honking hole drilled through them.

Personally, while I have seen guys shoot that style nipple to good effect in both the Potsdam and other guns, I like the idea of a small flash hole. Less blow back, more controlled charge of fire going to the main charge, etc.

I don't know of anyone making small hole potsdam nipples, but given the sheer size of the nipple, I'm thinking it wouldn't be a particularly difficult matter to thread the inside of one, insert a bolt with some permanent loctite into it, cut off flush with the nipple, and drill a small hole in it. When shot out (which takes awhile on a smoothbore) it wouldn't be a big deal to heat it to break free the loctite and use a broken screw remover to back the insert out, either.

Anyone see an issue with this sleeving approach?

EPPS1919
04-10-2020, 07:40 AM
Sounds like a good idea . I need to get a spare one and try it. I just got a Potsdam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J. C. Hall
04-10-2020, 01:22 PM
Years ago I had a Smith with an over sized one of a kind nipple. When it shot out I cut the bottom off of a revolver nipple, drilled and tapped the over sized Smith nipple and threaded the bottom of the revolver nipple in it. I cut a slot across the bottom so I could screw it in with a screw driver. It is still in there. I am not familiar with Smoothbore nipples, but maybe this will help.

jonk
04-10-2020, 05:03 PM
I like the idea of using a revolver nipple for the project. Already threaded and drilled.

Charlie Hahn
04-15-2020, 01:10 PM
I have not done the math just yet as I do not have a Potsdam nipple, but TRESCO has a musket nipple with 1/4-28 thread I have used for other similar adaptations.

FYI

Charlie Hahn

P A Laake 10798
04-17-2020, 01:26 PM
What I did was drill the original nipple threads out of the bolster and rethread with a 7/16x20 tap.....then using a piece of .540" steel (1/2" dia probably be good enough), made a bushing to screw into it with a 5/16x24 threaded hole to take a standard musket nipple. I left a .115" high shoulder on top of the bushing to allow for the shorter musket nipple. Then screwed the bushing in tight with a little JB Weld on the threads and let it set. Probably wouldn't want to do this if you wanted to keep the old musket original....