PDA

View Full Version : Spencer

R Filbert
04-09-2020, 07:20 PM
Who make the conversion block for the Spencer carbine. PM me with results.

geezmo
04-09-2020, 07:27 PM
Don't know who makes them, but S&S Firearms sells them: https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SP176

geezmo
04-10-2020, 08:26 AM
Follow up PM sent

Ibgreen
04-10-2020, 09:05 AM
I believe S&S and Buffaloe Arms sells them. I have an S&S in my 1868NM. It went in with vary little fitting. Others have reported more fitting needed with their M1860's 1865's.

Kevin Tinny
04-10-2020, 10:44 AM
Nice, Eggman:

N-SSA SAC has a listing of five or six approved center-fire block makers that includes identifying markings.

What marks are on yours, please?
The reason is some have not been in production for some time.

Dave Gullo at Buffalo said the outside machinist that made his until early this year has retired and for now, Dave is not looking for another source.

Recent conversations indicate S&S, Lodgewood and Dixie may have them.
I am not sure if that "Tennessee Spencer parts" shop in Portland, TN is still making them.

Thanks,
Kevin Tinny

Kevin Tinny
04-10-2020, 11:48 AM
Thanks, Eggnan:

That is probably an S&S, which usually had only the & mark on the top, tip of the upper block.

Original blocks rarely had marks unless later used in rebuilt/converted ones.

Thanks, again.
Kevin

John Holland
04-10-2020, 02:54 PM
When S&S submitted their Spencer replacement center fire breech block for approval for use in the N-SSA, the Board of Directors requested that it have an identifying mark so that it could be easily identified on the firing line by the I.G. Corps when doing lottery inspections. S&S decided upon the Ampersand, "&", for their identifying mark. At that time S&S also offered unmarked breech blocks for non N-SSA users who wanted to maintain an original appearance. S&S even offered a new made replacement breech blocks in the original rim fire configuration for those who were restoring Spencers which were missing the breech blocks.