PDA

View Full Version : US Army Infantry Ammunition, 1841 - 1862

StonewallSharpeson
03-29-2020, 11:13 AM
This is a compilation of specifications and construction of cartridges, arsenal packs, and ammunition boxes per the Ordnance Manuals printed in 1841, 1850, and 1862.

My desire is for this to be a definitive source for ammunition for domestic infantry weapons used during the Mexican and Civil Wars. And I got tired of seeing things like guys arguing about powder charges, and the shot size for buck and ball.

These manuals cover the Model 1816 series flintlock muskets, Common rifle, Hall's rifles and carbines, Model 1841 rifle, Model 1842 muskets and rifled muskets, Models 1855/1861/Richmond rifled muskets, musketoons, pistols, and Sharpe's carbines. Live rounds and blanks, buck and ball and Burton minie balls.

Note that foreign weapons and ammo, and domestic specialized ammo, like the Williams cleaner bullet, are not included. They may be added at later dates as I find primary source documentation on them. If you have any of this documentation, or sources for it, please let me know so it can be added!

Please use it for your ammunition construction and storage needs.

Also found on the AC: https://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?47310-US-Army-Infantry-Ammunition-1841-1862
Also found on Civil War Talk: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/us-army-infantry-ammunition-1841-1862.170628/

John Holland
03-29-2020, 05:53 PM
Stonewallsharpeson - Thank you for sharing that great bit of information!

geezmo
03-29-2020, 08:52 PM
Pretty interesting. I've thought off and on for quite a while about making up some authentic cartridges. Since we're on shutdown for a while and there won't be any skirmishes anytime soon, now might be the time. I've always been fascinated by, and may start with, both round ball and buckshot cartridges to try in my '42.
Thanks for posting this and rekindling my interest.

ms3635v
03-30-2020, 02:48 PM
Thanks for posting this, it's an excellent reference.