PDA

View Full Version : relining

Scott Lynch 1460V
03-26-2020, 11:26 AM
This may be a stupid question....but here it goes. Can a Numrich barrel with a patent breech be bored out and relined to eliminate the patent breeching?? Is that something that Mr. Hoyt does? Thanks for your input.

hawkeye2
03-26-2020, 03:07 PM
Hoyt will reline, did my wife's a few years back. Whitaker won't touch them (I asked). I have no idea about eliminating the patent breech but I doubt it can be done. I've skirmished with 2 Numrich barreled guns and never had a moment's issues with the patent breech. I even have a mint Numrich barrel laid back just in case.

You can enlarge the hole in the breech and countersink it to be sure powder gets in but again We've never seen a problem. The chamber on one barrel is small enough that a .270 brush fits nicely and the other is larger.

mike davenport
03-26-2020, 09:54 PM
Bobby can reline the tube, the patent is what "screws" into the tube to make the breech plug.
follow what hawkeye said, you can also try a .410 brush and bore mop to clean the breech after shooting
They do shoot very well, just have to prudent in your cleaning procedure
mike

MR. GADGET
03-26-2020, 10:06 PM
Just thinking out loud. ...

Would a barrel not need to be lined to begin with in order to be Relined?

Would you not just be lining the barrel?

I had one relined. A 50-70 trapdoor. Was made from a 58 rifle musket they bored out and lined when they built them. Barrel was trashed so it was relined.

Maillemaker
03-26-2020, 10:45 PM
Would a barrel not need to be lined to begin with in order to be Relined?

I would imagine the gunsmith simply bores out the old bore oversize and then installs the liner and rifles it. Or maybe the liner is rifled before installation; I don't know.

Steve

MR. GADGET
03-26-2020, 11:23 PM
I would imagine the gunsmith simply bores out the old bore oversize and then installs the liner and rifles it. Or maybe the liner is rifled before installation; I don't know.

Steve

They are rifled before installing.

And I agree. They bore out the old barrel then line it with a new liner.
That would be lining. Not relining.

Maillemaker
03-26-2020, 11:49 PM
They are lined before installing.

You mean rifled?

And I agree. They bore out the old barrel then line it with a new liner.
That would be lining. Not relining.

Oh I get it now.

Steve

John Holland
03-27-2020, 11:04 AM
Scott - Why not just ask Bobby Hoyt himself, rather than pose it here which will usually get you nothing more than an "Opinion Poll"?

hobbler
04-04-2020, 05:54 PM
For whatever the job is, once he has had the opportunity to discuss the intended end results and to see what he is dealing with I do so trust Mister Hoyt in his expertise and capabilities.

Hal
04-06-2020, 12:24 PM
Reckon that's kinda like a water heater vs. a hot water heater. If your water is hot, you don't need to heat it.