PDA

View Full Version : Tassles

Minieball577
08-11-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm looking for a hot set of yellow tassles that look the one on this Fez:

http://www.cjdaley.com/146th29.JPG

They are noted as having roped yarns and a macramé cap over the acorn and is made of wool. It is attached by two corded yarns.

Any ideas?

Jim Worrell
08-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi Chris,

Looked around at all the local material suppliers in my area, no luck, however, I did find a bunch of how to websites, just google "tassle".

My thinkng is that it might be easier to make one from scracth, the website instructions make it look pretty easy.

Good luck,

Jim

Minieball577
08-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Jim, I bought some suitable yarn, and have looked at the how to's also, and thinking I will be going that route, but I don't know how to do the Macrame knob thing at the top of the tassle.

Thanks for looking out.

BTW, I saw your info on Dan Wambaugh's site. Good thing to do there.

Chris

Greg Ogdan, 11444
08-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Chris,
The knot is called a "Monkey Knot", I believe. You should be able to find instructions in a decent knot book available at any good book store, or, again, try a search on the web.

Carolann Schmitt
08-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Chris -

Plug the word "tassels" into Amazon's book search and you'll get a list of several books on tassel making. Some of them are probably available in your local library. If not, used copies are available for a few dollars. The books should include a list of sources for the wooden molds for the top of the tassels and instructions for covering them in a variety of ways.

Here's a link to making a simple tassel using fringe excerpted from an article in a 2002 issue of Threads magazine. https://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00107.asp The article has instructions for making more complicated versions from thread or yarn. You can order the back issue of the magazine with the article via the link on the page.

I believe Mrs. Beeton's Guide to Needlework and Plain Sewing also includes instructions for making tassels.

Regards,

Minieball577
08-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Carolann, this is exactly the advice I needed, from exactly the person I figured would have it. Thanks. I will see what I can find.