PDA

View Full Version : Multi groove musket barrels.

gemmer
03-15-2020, 06:45 PM
I have no intention of ruffling any feathers, but why are repro American musket barrels with more than 3 grooves approved?

MR. GADGET
03-15-2020, 06:57 PM
I have no intention of ruffling any feathers, but why are repro American musket barrels with more than 3 grooves approved?

Because they shoot better or are said to.
They went with general overall looks and outside measurements.

They let you change sight, glass bed, add peep sights, dovetail sights and other small changes for the most part.

John Holland
03-16-2020, 12:24 PM
Gemmer - As Bill Seaby has noted, there is historical documentation verify the use of multi-groove barrels in the Civil War. In addition to the references he cited for rifles, Whitney also produced quite a few 3-band rifle muskets with 7 groove barrels. There are many other multi-groove long arms that are documented as having been used in the Civil War, too.

gemmer
03-16-2020, 01:33 PM
Thanks Bill and John.

Rick R
03-17-2020, 04:04 PM
I was certain my old PH Enfield 2 band 5 groove barrel was the best ever. That was until I started shooting a Hoyt relined 3 band 1861 Springfield with 3 grooves. My main motive causing me to dare stray from that tack driver was to get a better comfort level and line of sight with the Springfield. Well darned if that barrel doesn't shoot just as well and drop in more naturally. Now I'm working on getting an 1855 Artillery 2 band with a Whitacre barrel up and running to get back the split second of lost time ramming a round down while putting up a little less sail cloth in a stiff breeze.