PDA

View Full Version : Relvover bullet seating press

STEVES
03-05-2020, 01:07 PM
Newbie here.

What are you guys using/recommend to seat your round balls in relvovers? (1858 Uberti .44 cal.)

I'm looking for options on a press to purchase.

Thx in advance.

Maillemaker
03-05-2020, 01:54 PM
I use the Tower of Power from here:

https://www.biglube.com/

It comes with mandrels to fit both Remington and Colt cylinders, and drivers to fit .36 and .44 chambers.

I like it because it drives the bullet home in a straight line, instead of swinging an arc like some of the cheaper models do.

Steve

Sven205
03-05-2020, 02:58 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I hear a lot of negativity around the cheaper swinging type that Steve referenced. The tower of power seems to get good reviews.

I've been looking at one from Powder Inc., its similarly priced to the one at the biglube site but I think I like the simpler design of it a little better. It seems like both are built to last forever, unlike the pot metal ones you find elsewhere.

I just noticed your name is Steve. Three Steves in a row...

Mike McDaniel
03-05-2020, 04:01 PM
Honestly, I just use the loading lever on the gun. Works fine. I will suggest turning your body 90 degrees so that the gun is pointed downrange, then using the hands together, fist-to-fist...kind of like using a giant nutcracker.

hawkeye2
03-05-2020, 07:55 PM
I've been using a simple "swing" style for years with no problems at all though I only shoot round ball. I got a Big Lube Tower of Power for Christmas a few years ago and have yet to use it but I can say it's a beautifully machined and fabricated piece. I intend to make a couple more arbor pieces and loading jags to fit some more of my revolvers. The only shortcoming I can see is that it's large, way too big to fit in my shooting box.

efritz
03-06-2020, 10:36 AM
Suggest having the loading lever on your revolver altered/machined to have stop on it so the ball will be seated same depth same pressure every time. Any gap tween powder and ball be filled with corn meal. Lube on top of ball. Spend $ on gun work. Probably cheaper than stand and one less thing to pack/carry. Consistency is key.

Sven205
03-06-2020, 07:51 PM
hawkeye2
I've been using a simple "swing" style for years with no problems at all though I only shoot round ball.

It's good to hear experiences from someone that has actually used one. I'd guess that these wear faster if youre loading oversized balls on the press, same logic as when you feel like you're stressing the loading lever when you load on the gun.

efritz
03-09-2020, 06:00 PM
Stressing the loading lever is the 1st clue that RB are too big. Breaking it is the 2nd.
Seen it happen.

Rebel Dave
03-09-2020, 09:42 PM
Lead that is too hard will stress the loading lever on a revolver also, some times even brake the hinge screws.
Dave

JBratu
03-10-2020, 03:42 PM
I load my Colts on the pistol with the lever, For my Remington I got the #2 press from Powder, Inc. Just got it in last week, its pretty hefty!

hawkeye2
03-13-2020, 11:27 PM
It's good to hear experiences from someone that has actually used one. I'd guess that these wear faster if youre loading oversized balls on the press, same logic as when you feel like you're stressing the loading lever when you load on the gun.

I've used mine for years with no signs of wear, I wouldn't worry about it.