PDA

View Full Version : Thread size of a Bernadelli Mississsippi nipple

Bob Hatfield
05-08-2010, 12:19 PM
What is the thread size of the Bernadelli Mississippi cone. I ask because I fired the Bernadelli today and it did excellent for the first time out with a patched .562 ball wrapped in .018 ticking all over 80 grains of 3 fg black..Shot right to the point of aim at 50 yards and grouped three shots under 2 inches................The nipple on this gun has a large flash hole and it powder burns the dickens out of my forehead and face............
Thank you..............Bob

Blair
05-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Bob,

Try a 5/16th X 24 thread. (still a common American Standard thread)
This is what the original thread were on U S made firearms.
Within these earlier made repro's, the Italians do seem to fallow the original thread pattern on the nipple. (nothing else... but on the nippes they do try)
Hope this helps,
Blair

Bob Hatfield
05-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks Blair............After I posted I found an old 5/16 X 24 touchhole liner for a flintlock............Side by side look like the same thread. The liner started a few threads , but started to get hard to turn , but the liner threads are not in the best shape.......................Bob

DAVE FRANCE
05-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Bob,

Gun makers outside of the United States don't use inch threads on any fasteners or any kind of threaded part. The nipple and the tapped hole are usually M8 X 1.0. That is an 8 millimeter maximum diameter thread with a 1 millimeter pitch. It is very close to the inch sized thread that was usued on original US firearms.

The M8 x 1.0 threaded is very common. I think if you buy a threaded nipple for an Italian made gun, and if it is about 8 mm (or a little less than 0.320 inches) thead, you will be getting the right thread.

A few metric threads are very close to the inch thread. I can send you a list if you need it.

Good Luck

David

DAVE FRANCE
05-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Bob,

Another thought. You can take your nipple to a Lowes or Home Depot and use the thread identifier they have in the fastener area, and you will be able to find what is the correct thread on the nipple.

David

Bob Hatfield
05-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks all.............It was a 5/16x24.......................Bob