PDA

View Full Version : tool to measure revolver chamber depths?

Maillemaker
02-23-2020, 02:10 PM
What sort of tool should I buy to measure bores like revolver chamber diameters?

This looked interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/UKCOCO-Telescoping-Spherical-Shaped-Hardened/dp/B07CSNYM13

Is there something better?

I don't want to use plug gauges.

Steve

Southron Sr.
02-23-2020, 04:16 PM
One thing about plug gauges for measuring bore diameters.....they are 100% accurate. I got a set of plug gauges from Grizzly for around $60.00 a while back.

As for measuring the depths of revolver chambers....you can do that with any decent set of calipers.

MR. GADGET
02-23-2020, 04:46 PM
Plug gauges work good for somethings when you want to check fit. They will only give you an idea if the pin diameter will fit or not. What they can not measure is if there is a taper or if the hole is not true and maybe oval.
The gauge like you show will work, but it is up to how good you can measure with a caliper or micrometer.

If you have someone that plans to bore or true the cylinder they can measure on there mill using a locating pin.

John Holland
02-23-2020, 05:01 PM
Steve - The "Hole Gauges" you have shown will work just fine, just make sure you get a size that will expand to the diameter that you need. One with a range of 3/8" - 1/2" will be what you will want. All you will need to go with it is either a Micrometer or a Vernier, which you most likely already have! The "Hole Gauge" is also good for checking the diameter of the chamber all the way to the bottom to determine if the side walls are straight, or have a taper to them. If there is a taper in the chamber it is very important to know where it starts.

threepdr
02-24-2020, 10:55 PM
Steve,

I have this set. I had forgotten that I bought them. Your post reminded me. They are the same basic idea as yours but a little different in mechanics. The smallest one in the set will work with .36 and .44s.

https://www.amazon.com/Ginode-Telescoping-Micrometer-Precision-T-Bore/dp/B07BL2CM7Z/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=bore+gauges&qid=1582602744&sr=8-3

Rick R
02-25-2020, 05:20 PM
I slugged mine as you would a barrel. I drove the slugs out with a brass pin after removing the nipples. Then I used a micrometer. As I recall I used .457 balls which gave me a significant shaved cylindrical band to measure.