PDA

View Full Version : Loading Stands for Single Shot Pistol Team Competition

ChrisWBR
02-20-2020, 06:11 AM
All,
Just a note that for the Spring National demonstration Single Shot Pistol Team Competition, loading stands will be required for all competitors. Any stand that holds the pistol upright for loading is fine. Examples of various stands have been posted on the bulletin board in the past. This requirement was noted in the Spring National package that was sent out.
Please pass the word on to anyone planning to shoot this match at the Spring National.

Chris

MR. GADGET
02-20-2020, 07:59 AM
Really makes me upset to see that.
When they added that rule it took the simplest thing we could shoot and made it more complicated.

I have 2 SSSB that I have been shoting. These will not go into a loading stand ever.
Don't want to risk the damage to the stock or risk that it cracks.

Guess they will be reserved for my private shooting at a private range from now on.

I guess the rule was needed for a few that could not load safe but for me it takes the fun and simplicity from it.

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
02-20-2020, 05:30 PM
Well Yes you must have and use one, but you can design yours to contour to the stock if you want. That will resolve your concern on pressure on the stock

during loading! Safety is the most important issue. I hope you can make a stand that will work for you. Sincerely Wayne Shaw National IG

Harlans Light Cav CV 1985V

jmiller
02-20-2020, 06:32 PM
or just a little piece of foam, or felt should help the issue.

MR. GADGET
02-20-2020, 08:18 PM
Don't get me wrong.
Not knocking the rule or asking anyone to change it or anything.

Just the times I shot it were fun, I walked up to the line with the gun in hand or belt or case.
Everything was in my leathers, charges, lead and caps. Nothing else was needed.
It was easy and really fun to shoot that way.
That is what I enjoyed..

Now needing to get a stand, build one that will support and hold a gun like this and carry it just takes the fun away for me. It is the loss of simplicity.
Not going to stop doing what I enjoy, I will keep shooting it, just not going to be doing it there at Nationals.
Guess I will just watch.

If I remember John Holland had somewhat the same feeling. Fun the way it was and no need for stand.
But times and rules change and I'm good with that.

Robt. Propst
02-20-2020, 10:30 PM
I got an extra I have used with my original H. Aston 1842 without damaging it..recycled cedar from taking down an old swing set ..be glad to bring it so you can share the fun.

regards, Bob

John Holland
02-21-2020, 09:38 AM
The conversation has been about the SSP Team Match, does the "Loading Stand Rule" also apply to the SSP Individual Match?

John Robey
02-21-2020, 10:45 AM
The conversation has been about the SSP Team Match, does the "Loading Stand Rule" also apply to the SSP Individual Match?

Not at the Spring Nationals. A rule proposal for the inclusion of SSP company matches into the National Skirmish Official Program will be considered in August which will incorporate the requirement for the use of loading stands in company matches. The Board of Directors might choose to extend that rule to include individual matches in the future.

Mike McDaniel
02-21-2020, 11:57 AM
How many people are shooting SSP? I'm not at all sure there are enough to support a team event.

MR. GADGET
02-21-2020, 12:00 PM
I think there needs to be a clear answer.

Above states they are required.
There is no date or information as to the events or start date required.

John Robey
02-21-2020, 12:19 PM
I think there needs to be a clear answer.

Above states they are required.
There is no date or information as to the events or start date required.

I am sorry to have answered in polysyllabic words and in multi-word sentences, and only in standard English.

Here's a clearer answer to Mr. Holland's question: No.

P.Altland
02-21-2020, 08:01 PM
How many people are shooting SSP? I'm not at all sure there are enough to support a team event.

Guarantee it will be more than the 3-4 teams shooting Spencer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Holland
02-22-2020, 09:00 AM
"SSP" is the acronym for "Single Shot Pistol".

MR. GADGET
02-22-2020, 10:16 AM

I am sorry to have answered in polysyllabic words and in multi-word sentences, and only in standard English.

Here's a clearer answer to Mr. Holland's question: No.

John Robey,
Will you also please explain in words that I can understand where you got your information from and let me know where I can find it in print? The reason I ask is that it's contradictory to what was sent out on paper for the Spring Nationals 2020 packet.

Quote from the packet sent to me.

New for 2020:
* Loading stands are now a requirement for individuals and for demo match.

P.Altland
02-22-2020, 10:46 AM
John Robey,
Will you also please explain in words that I can understand where you got your information from and let me know where I can find it in print? The reason I ask is that it's contradictory to what was sent out on paper for the Spring Nationals 2020 packet.

Quote from the packet sent to me.

New for 2020:
* Loading stands are now a requirement for individuals and for demo match.

Also interesting that the Commander?s notes from the meeting indicate that stands must be used for both.

lmcmahon
02-22-2020, 11:46 AM
Loading stands are required for single shot pistol (SSP) in both individual and demo team matches. When SSP team matches are approved, they will also require a loading stand. Board of Directors passed this rule August 2019.

MR. GADGET
02-22-2020, 05:11 PM
Loading stands are required for single shot pistol (SSP) in both individual and demo team matches.

Linwood,

Thank you very much for clearing this up.

P.Altland
02-22-2020, 07:49 PM
Loading stands are required for single shot pistol (SSP) in both individual and demo team matches. When SSP team matches are approved, they will also require a loading stand. Board of Directors passed this rule August 2019.

Linwood,

Could this / should this be added to the Summary of Rules Changes doc until the 2020 Rules are published? The currently available rules still say that you can either load with butt of the gun resting on the bench or use a loading stand. With the availability of e-versions and the printed mini-version, this contradiction could cause a confrontation between shooter and safety.

lmcmahon
02-22-2020, 08:38 PM
I should have the 2020 version of the rules posted within the next few days. Including the summary of changes.
Linwood

ChrisWBR
02-23-2020, 06:32 PM

The demo matches have drawn quite a number of teams, we'll see how many people are willing to shoot Thursday late afternoon but it will be at least 10 teams I believe. There's a limit to what we can handle on the Revolver Range at this time.

warnerl1
03-19-2020, 11:03 AM
Chris,
You mention that examples of various stands have been posted in the past. An advanced search (granted, somewhat cursory) of the BB hasn't produced any images or specifications of a stand specific to SSP. There are many posts regarding the requirement that a stand be different from a traditional revolver stand given the shape, weight, etc., but I have yet to see an image.

As you were the proponent of this change, perhaps you could provide something tangible for the membership (read: me...I'm being selfish). If anyone else has examples, please feel free to share!

Thank you,
Lynn
6th Pa. Cav.

All,
Just a note that for the Spring National demonstration Single Shot Pistol Team Competition, loading stands will be required for all competitors. Any stand that holds the pistol upright for loading is fine. Examples of various stands have been posted on the bulletin board in the past. This requirement was noted in the Spring National package that was sent out.
Please pass the word on to anyone planning to shoot this match at the Spring National.

Chris

warnerl1
03-19-2020, 12:37 PM
Bob Propst shared these images with me and approved sharing them on the BB. He said the little one is from cedar scraps and took about an hour to make.
Thank you, Bob!

Jim_Burgess_2078V
03-19-2020, 12:38 PM
Lynn,
I have been using a MTM pistol rest to hold my M1842 Johnson SSP while loading. This plastic rest has two parts: a padded base and an adjustable Y-shaped fork to rest the barrel on and steady your aim while shooting. That is what it was designed for. However, if you invert the base it nicely holds a SSP at a 45-50 degree angle for loading. It works great, is not that expensive, and readily breaks down to fit inside my shooting stool.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have not received any compensation from MTM for this unsolicited endorsement of their product.

Jim Burgess, 15th Conn. Vol. Inf.

ChrisWBR
03-20-2020, 02:22 PM
Thanks to Bob for providing pictures to be posted. I was unsuccessful in finding a simple loading stand picture that I remembered seeing that Judy provided in the National packet. It was quite simple and was supposed to work just fine. Perhaps Stefan Svensson might have a picture?

warnerl1
03-20-2020, 11:44 PM
Here's a picture Bob Propst shared from the old BB (Stefan's post). It's small here, but if anyone wants it emailed (along with the original post from the BB), let me know.
Thanks again, Bob!

John Holland
03-21-2020, 03:35 PM
That is the photo which was included in the August 2019 Board of Directors Agenda Packet.

Robt. Propst
03-21-2020, 03:52 PM
John, could not find that packet in my computer, but the search function on the BB worked for me better than my somewhat ad hoc filing system. Either way, yup, same picture. Regards, Bob

ChrisWBR
03-22-2020, 08:41 AM
Thanks to Bob for finding the loading stand picture and description and for Warner1 for posting. Stefan noted that it was two pieces of flat oak from Home Depot joined at one end with a piano hinge. Folds flat enough to fit into his shooting case in the picture.