PDA

View Full Version : Reamers, Jags that are the same size as a 12G shotgun cleaning brush for a one piece rod

noonanda
02-01-2020, 08:39 AM
While at the Halloween shoot I bought one of the one piece cleaning rods that use the Shotgun sized brushes from one of the vendors. I went back to pick up a reamer and a jag as well but they had closed up. Do any of the sutlers or dealers sell them online, and if so what size/thread pitch am I looking for?

MR. GADGET
02-01-2020, 06:21 PM
It is a standard shotgun pitch and thread.
You can Call Tom Chrone and he will ship them.
He makes some of the best gear I have seen and lots of custom gear?

noonanda
02-02-2020, 10:01 AM
It is a standard shotgun pitch and thread.
You can Call Tom Chrone and he will ship them.
He makes some of the best gear I have seen and lots of custom gear?

Do you know what thread size and pitch the shotgun brushes use?

bobanderson
02-02-2020, 11:57 AM
I think they are 5/16-27.

Hal
02-05-2020, 07:23 AM
I'll have to say they vary. I have several one piece aluminum cleaning rods and several jags that do not fit them. I don't know if it was a vendor's attempt at a proprietary thread or what, but I find it annoying. I don't know where I got the rods. I've bought jags and brushes and patch pullers, breech face scrapers, etc. from various vendors. Some fit and some don't. I can usually get them started in 2-3 threads and use them, but I know I'm not doing the threads any favors by doing so.

bobanderson
02-05-2020, 08:13 AM
There is a 5/16-27 straight thread and there is also a 1/16 NPT pipe thread. also measuring 5/16, that are similar but different in one regard. The pipe thread is tapered.
That will cause your tool to bind after a little ways in.

Hal
02-05-2020, 12:12 PM
Interesting Bob. I'll have to look into that. Might be worth trying to rethread.

MR. GADGET
02-05-2020, 01:12 PM
Tom Crone can thread them for you. He has done some of mine.
I had some none standard metric threads and did some.
He can also build about any adapter for them if that is easier.