PDA

View Full Version : Just a question

PoorJack
01-31-2020, 03:44 PM
What is the shortest length barrel muzzleloader legal for N-SSA competition?

Lou Lou Lou
01-31-2020, 04:06 PM
Probably a Macon Smoothbore. I?m sure somebody knows for sure

RaiderANV
01-31-2020, 04:23 PM
Musket probably the Austrian Jeager. 29? iirc
Smoothie is the Macon conversation 24?
Carbine probably the Austrian Cav. carbine. 14?

John Holland
01-31-2020, 07:53 PM
As noted above, the question is "Match Specific". If you can identify which match arm you are interested in I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have!

PoorJack
02-01-2020, 08:22 AM
My ultimate purpose is not match specific but that may well be how to find the answer.

Let's say carbine or musket. Purpose is an arm that is easily handled by a smaller stature skirmisher that is muzzleloading and 58cal preferably but 54 not out of the question.

John Bly
02-01-2020, 09:32 AM
I believe for a musket the SNWTC 63 style and the flush plate Whitney with 30" barrels are the shortest allowed. For carbine some of the southern muzzle loaders have 22" barrels such as the Bilharz. The Richmond carbine which is more common has a 25" barrel.

John Holland
02-01-2020, 04:20 PM
Dave - The shortest arm allowed in a Musket Match would be the Austrian Jagerstutzen, which has a 28.0" barrel. But, it is a solidly built and heavy arm.

John Bly mentioned the "SN&WTC for Massachusetts", as altered to an "Artillery Rifle", actually has a barrel length of 31.0".

John also noted the "Whitney Flush Lock Artillery Rifle", which has a barrel length of 30.0". Both of these arms are much lighter than the Jagerstutzen.

For muzzle loading Carbines, the arm with the shortest barrel is an Austrian Carbine with a 14.0" barrel. However, this Carbine is 0.72" caliber with 12 groove rifling. The recoil and muzzle blast is unpleasant, at best.

The next shortest would be the British P-56 Carbine with a 21.0" barrel, but it comes with the same straight stock as the rest of the British long arms.

Then there is the Bilharz *& Hall, also noted by John Bly, which has a 22.0" barrel. But, this one has a flat butt plate much like a M-1841 Rifle.

Finally, there is the old standby, the Richmond Carbine with a 25.0" barrel. This Carbine has a nice drop to the stock and would be a nice match to one of the "Artillery Rifles" noted above.

I have left out the smooth bore Carbines because I don't think you would be interested in them for youth shooting.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

John Holland
Small Arms Staff Officer

Michael Bodner
02-02-2020, 11:05 AM
What?!?!?! Nobody likes the 1861 Englilsh Pattern Carbine (Musketoon) anymore? OK, so its a few inches longer than the P-56, but at 24" barrel, still pretty short!

-Boots

PoorJack
02-02-2020, 11:27 AM
Looks like Pedersoli still make a musketoon. Anybody have any direct experience with it or the Richmond carbine?

Mike McDaniel
02-02-2020, 02:53 PM
Actually, I think the shortest legal carbine might be the 1855 Springfield pistol-carbine. With the stock attached, it should be perfectly legal for carbine competition.

RaiderANV
02-02-2020, 11:20 PM
Actually, I think the shortest legal carbine might be the 1855 Springfield pistol-carbine. With the stock attached, it should be perfectly legal for carbine competition.

I receivered a big NO when I tried to use mine in 1995. Said it was a safety issue. 🤔