PDA

View Full Version : Romano Rifle Co.

musketnut
01-22-2020, 02:14 PM
Has anyone had problems with ordering a new rifle from Mr. Romano.

I sent him a deposit more than a year ago, ....still no delivery date given.

Kevin Tinny
01-22-2020, 03:49 PM
Hello, Musketnut:

I speak with Larry perhaps every month and see him at Fort Shenandoah during each National.
I will not speak FOR him, but might be able to put your concern into perspective.

What did you order, please? That info will help me better answer your question.

Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny

musketnut
01-22-2020, 03:57 PM
A first model maynard.

Hello, Musketnut:

I speak with Larry perhaps every month and see him at Fort Shenandoah during each National.
I will not speak FOR him, but might be able to put your concern into perspective.

What did you order, please? That info will help me better answer your question.

Respectfully,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

Kevin Tinny
01-22-2020, 04:46 PM
Ok; thanks:

My understanding, earlier this month during a call, is that he is building Maynards.
He appears to have ceased doing Spencers and his website indicates "Sold out" for Spencers.

I get mostly short answers during daytime if he's in the shop, IF he hears his phone.

I usually email and provide my PHONE number so he can do a quick call when running errands.

I am sure he sees all the emails.

Kevin

RaiderANV
01-22-2020, 09:12 PM
Larry is very backed up as he is a small custom arms builder. If you order a Shilo Sharps it can be three years.

Kevin Tinny
01-23-2020, 04:04 PM
Hello:

Larry called me about wood for a carbine of mine in process.
He was cutting Maynard butt stocks.

He recalls this fellow's order and assured me all's well and his is in the current batch working its way....
That IS as much as I would need to be comfortable.

Kevin

musketnut
05-18-2020, 02:32 PM
After I posted this complaint about Larry's lack of communication and slowness, I got feedback from other member stating that getting parts from Larry is a difficult process and I will leave it at that. I got a call from Larry last Thursday stating my gun was ready and then I got a voicemail from him the day after in which he stated that since I didn't pay him immediately I lost my $1k deposit. That's okay by me, I would rather not throw good money after bad.

FYI he also left in his voicemail that "my gun" would be sold to the next person who wanted it and I was SOL. So anyone who wants a first model maynard with all the bells and whistles.....Larry has one for sale.

MR. GADGET
05-18-2020, 05:42 PM
After I posted this complaint about Larry's lack of communication and slowness, I got feedback from other member stating that getting parts from Larry is a difficult process and I will leave it at that. I got a call from Larry last Thursday stating my gun was ready and then I got a voicemail from him the day after in which he stated that since I didn't pay him immediately I lost my $1k deposit. That's okay by me, I would rather not throw good money after bad.

FYI he also left in his voicemail that "my gun" would be sold to the next person who wanted it and I was SOL. So anyone who wants a first model maynard with all the bells and whistles.....Larry has one for sale.

Something is up with this. Is there more to the story?
He is keeping your deposit because you did not pay from one day to the next?

Maillemaker
05-18-2020, 06:56 PM
You lose a $1000 deposit because you didn't pay within a day?

Steve

musketnut
05-19-2020, 10:55 AM
That is correct. Per Larry's voicemail that is the verbiage on his website so I am bound by that I guess.

You lose a $1000 deposit because you didn't pay within a day?

Steve

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
05-19-2020, 11:53 AM
So Correct me if I'm wrong. You're saying they had your deposit for 1 year and about 5 months, notified you the gun was ready after that period of time, then, said you loose your deposit after you didn't pay the balance in 1 day? G. Pope 7790

Lou Lou Lou
05-19-2020, 12:02 PM
No interim discussions?

geezmo
05-19-2020, 12:32 PM
The verbiage on his website says... "100% Deposit is Non-refundable on all cancelled orders for custom built firearms. " It doesn't say that you have to pay within one day. Does he think you cancelled? It sounds like there is some kind of misunderstanding here. I would contact him and try to get it resolved privately rather than let it fester here publicly, creating hard feelings.

That is correct. Per Larry's voicemail that is the verbiage on his website so I am bound by that I guess.

musketnut
05-19-2020, 12:42 PM
For the record nothing is festering, I am just sharing the facts. Larry is mad at me for starting this post and is playing hardball. I don't care and stated that I would rather not throw good money after bad so I probably wouldn't have ponied up the additional $3k anyway as I lost faith in Romano's ability to provide me with parts in the future. I'm not upset, education is expensive and I will take my lumps like an adult. nuff said.

The verbiage on his website says... "100% Deposit is Non-refundable on all cancelled orders for custom built firearms. " It doesn't say that you have to pay within one day. Does he think you cancelled? It sounds like there is some kind of misunderstanding here. I would contact him and try to get it resolved privately rather than let it fester here publicly, creating hard feelings.

dheuer
05-19-2020, 04:08 PM
I purchased a Model 1 about 10 years ago. Uneventful. However, I would never buy another. Check out the Spring 2017 issue of the Skirmish Line and the Letter to the Editor dated June 24, 2017.

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
05-19-2020, 05:09 PM
I also bought one in 2004. I will be happy to share my experience with anyone who wants to hear it, send me a private message and I'll be happy to tell you about it. G. Pope