PDA

View Full Version : Equipping a new Skirmisher

jim14th
01-19-2020, 09:34 AM
Reminds me after looking at my 1972 Skirmish Line what it cost me , new Zouave rifle ,Numich barrel , leather goods , plus powder and caps ,almost two weeks salary to start skirmishing

John Holland
01-19-2020, 11:29 AM
Jim - Are you saying you bought a new unfired "Zouave" and replaced the barrel with a Numrich without ever firing the factory barrel?

jim14th
01-20-2020, 11:03 AM
Being a new rookie the "older" members told be to buy a Zouave , even though I liked the Mississippi better , because I could get a Numrich barrel for it and it shot better as proven by a couple of the guys that had them. I did shoot the Zoli for my first year , switch over to the Numrich and still use the same load 40 some years later.

On a side note John , to date I've put over 300 rounds , single shot of course , through the Two Shot Lindsay I restored , now band from usage , and none of the doom and gloom predictions and or opinions of the dreaded "glow plug " condition causing a premature ignition has ever occurred , the upper channel has always stayed clear even after continued , IE 5-10 shots , shooting. As demonstrated with the number of fouled muskets at the last couple of Nationals seems more attention needs to be directed to the owners in proper care loading and cleaning to prevent the problems with the traditional single shots we all use .....jim

John Holland
01-20-2020, 07:28 PM
Jim - The "Zouave" and "Mississippi" barrels are the same base barrels, too bad you didn't get the "Mississippi" you wanted, and then replace the barrel with the NAC barrel.

jim14th
01-21-2020, 11:45 AM
Jim - The "Zouave" and "Mississippi" barrels are the same base barrels, too bad you didn't get the "Mississippi" you wanted, and then replace the barrel with the NAC barrel.

Well, about 48 years too late for the info !

Muley Gil
01-21-2020, 12:54 PM

Then he would have had to buy a Mississippi rear sight. Probably another $10-$15. :)

My dad bought me a Zoli Zouave from Mike Yeck in October 1969 for $80. They went up $5 in two years!