PDA

View Full Version : Shilo Sharps carbine

pastore
05-04-2010, 05:49 PM
A former team member is buying a Shilo Sharps carbine. He asked me if he should order it with a tall, dovetailed front sight. If I remember correctly, dovetailed sights are allowed. That being the case I told him I would order it that way if it was available that way. If any of you are shooting a Shilo Sharps, could you list which mold you use, and powder charges you shoot. He will be very grateful for the info. :)

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
05-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Fletcher,

You might want to remind him that it needs a patchbox and sling bar. Some Shilos have been produced without and for SAC it needs to have them. Good luck, they are fantastic rifles!

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Fletcher,

The M1863 Sharps carbine does not need a patch box, only the saddle bar and ring.

The M1859 Sharps carbine needs both a saddle bar and ring and patch box.

Yancey is confusing the Sharps carbine variants with the Sharps rifle which needs to have a patch box, but does not have a saddle bar and ring as it was an infantry arm, not a cavalry arm.

Phil

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
05-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Phil,

Your right, sorry. Confusing myself is a German tendency I think....

Greg Ogdan, 11444
05-05-2010, 08:55 AM
I use the 475 gr Rapine ringtail in front of 50gr of Goex FFg. Don't cheat on the lube and grease the he** out of EVERYTHING in the breech block area. I use high temp, high pressure wheel bearing grease. Doing this, I can shoot a whole Skirmish without takedown to clean and the only accruacy problems are trigger nut related.

Richard Hill
05-05-2010, 10:10 AM
The Sharps has a moveable rear sight and does not need the dovetail front. It CAN use a taller front blade which he will have to add.

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
05-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Greg,

Thanks for the info on the wheel bearing grease. I had been using Remington High Pressure grease and found it to be just ok. I will have to try the wheel bearing stuff. Do you get it from a typical auto supply store?

Yancey

Greg Ogdan, 11444
05-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Yancey,
Actually, I bought the last can from the evil Wally World, but Autozone, Pep Boys, Acvance, etc. should have it and at less than $5.00/lb.

Rich Siegel 8846
05-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Fletcher,

If your friend is ordering a new production carbine from Shiloh, they might put on a taller front sight for him.

Rich

mikea
05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Mr. Hill is correct - the Shiloh Sharps has a windage adjustable rear sight. I would advise a taller front sight, but a number of sources carry them - recall that I got mine from Lodgewood & think that it's the same as used with the Smith carbines and possibly others. It's no big deal to replace.
I use white lithium grease in my Shiloh carbine, and liberally coat everything in the block with it. After shooting, I disassemble the block, clean off the old grease and powder fouling and replace the lithium grease as part of the cleaning. I have fired 75 rounds without having to do anything to the block during a skirmish. Auto parts stores carry this grease & it's cheap.
Right now I'm using 42 gr. of 3f Goex with either the Rapine bullet or one from a now discontinued Lyman mould that sutler Jerry Stone has had made up. Both are excellent.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
05-07-2010, 01:05 PM
In my Shiloh Sharps carbine I use the Lyman ringtail bullet 557489 (discontinued long ago), sized to my chamber (.545) with 50 grains FFg (Goex). 45 grains of FFFg will yield the same ballistics but 50 grains of FFg tends to fill the chamber better since I'm shooting loose powder. (Paper cartridges are too labor intensive for my blood). It would appear the Rapine ringtail bullet is now also discontinued. If your friend is looking for a new mould, NEI has offered .54 caliber Sharps ringtail moulds in the past.
Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Rick R
05-21-2010, 02:26 PM
You might want to share if the Sharps is .54 or .50 cal.. I shoot a .50 cal and use the Rapine Smith bullet and 43gr FF Goex.

Todd Harrington, 3637V
05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
In my .54 cal Shiloh Sharps carbine I shoot an unsized Rapine ring-tail buffalo slug (soft lead) with 30 grs 3f Goex in a combustible cartridge using COW as a filler, dipping the finished cartridge in lube.

I get 1.5" groups at 50 yards.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
05-25-2010, 02:22 PM
For those of us shooting the 50 grain or so powder charge, using FFg is a more wise choice since it will not erode the pressure plate as quickly. It's also a little softer on the shoulder.

DAVE FRANCE
06-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I have an unfired Shiloh Sharps carbine for sale. Same price as Shiloh will charge you if you request the ring and bar that is no longer standard.

David France