PDA

View Full Version : Unmarked Garrett Sharps?

Yakiman
12-31-2019, 01:38 PM
Here's a Sharps carbine with a date code of 1979 (AE). It has the Lawrence primer system and no markings from Garrett. Did someone else, at that time, import these?

John Holland
01-01-2020, 10:26 AM
The examples I have seen are not marked "Garrett"., just "Made in Italy" on top the barrel.

geezmo
01-01-2020, 03:58 PM
I once had one with the double diamond on the barrel and FHG cartouche on the wrist behind the ring bar, as specified in the approved arms listing. It seems that I remember once seeing one with Garrett Arms stamped on the lock, but that might have been one of the metallic cartridge models.

P.Altland
01-01-2020, 10:33 PM
Both of mine are marked Garrett Arms on the lock plate and left side of receiver in addition to the FHG cartouche. However, many years ago while at the Timonium Gun Show, I enlisted the help of Frank when I saw a suspicious ?Garrett? for sale. Nothing about it was correct. Only 3 L&G barrel instead of the 6 right or 7 left, a very high serial number and no primer mechanism. While talking he told me that in addition to this particular gun not being any he approved, Palmetto continued to export the Sharps after he cancelled the contract with them. Apparently led to some legal wrangling. Could explain why you have a Palmetto Sharps without the ?Garrett Arms? markings.

Replace ? marks with quotes. I don?t know why this cannot be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yakiman
01-02-2020, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE=P.Altland;79823]Both of mine are marked Garrett Arms on the lock plate and left side of receiver in addition to the FHG cartouche. However, many years ago while at the Timonium Gun Show, I enlisted the help of Frank when I saw a suspicious ?Garrett? for sale. Nothing about it was correct. Only 3 L&G barrel instead of the 6 right or 7 left, a very high serial number and no primer mechanism. While talking he told me that in addition to this particular gun not being any he approved, Palmetto continued to export the Sharps after he cancelled the contract with them. Apparently led to some legal wrangling. Could explain why you have a Palmetto Sharps without the ?Garrett Arms? markings.

I don't have it, was thinking about bidding on it. It's on GB, listed as a Pedersoli and I don't think the seller knows what it is. I'd heard that there were some made after Garrett stopped importing them but this one is marked 1979 and I thought that was well before. There's a pic of the tang and the serial number is stamped C. 806 with the C being very heavy and the numbers lighter. It has a 6 L&G bbl. Just trying to figure out what it really is.

J

P.Altland
01-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Hmm. My 6 right and 7 left are both in the 200s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastore
01-02-2020, 03:41 PM
My Garrett Sharps has the double diamond stamp on barrel, AD date code, tape primer, and the Garret stamp on the lock plate and receiver.
serial # 200's

Roger Hansen
01-14-2021, 09:35 PM
i have 2 Garretts and will be posting one for sale shortly.

1985 Serial #93x
Stamped on lock small letters:
Garrett Arms
Norfolk, VA USA
No cartouche in wood
7 L&G left hand
Barrel: .54 Cal and Made in Italy
1979 Serial #75x
No Garrett name stamped
FHG cartouche left side
6 L&G right hand
Barrel: .54 Cal and Made in Italy and Cat. 1381

Now a real question. Have you Garrett owners slugged those barrels ??? What was caliber ?

R B Hansen
20th Georgia Vol