PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1861/1863 rear sight

gemmer
12-24-2019, 10:18 AM
I have seen original 61s and 63s with rear sights that have a countersunk leaf screw into the base and others with a screw head that is proud of the base. Which one is correct? My '63 has the latter, as does my altered '41 Mississippi. The 41(formerly owned by Doc Chambers) has a screw that is too short for the base and the replacement I bought is the same length, obviously intended for a countersunk base.

hawkeye2
12-24-2019, 11:26 AM
The proper screw is flush with the top of the base so that the sight leaf will lay flat on it. The screw is quite short, has a very thin head with two holes for the tool to install it and the base has a recess for the head.

gemmer
12-24-2019, 02:29 PM
I'm talking about the screw that goes through the sight base to hold the sight leaves.

Carolina Reb
12-24-2019, 02:39 PM
There are two sight bases. On the early one without side rails around the pivot screw, the pivot screw head should stick out. On the later base with side rails, the pivot screw head should be flush. The early screw is longer and very hard to find.

gemmer
12-24-2019, 04:15 PM
There are two sight bases. On the early one without side rails around the pivot screw, the pivot screw head should stick out. On the later base with side rails, the pivot screw head should be flush. The early screw is longer and very hard to find.

Thank you Sir.