PDA

View Full Version : Smith carbine questions

John Maas
05-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I have heard that some early Piettas are poor shooters unless they are relined, for example one in the s.n. range 2xxx. Is this true?
Also, some Smiths had a blow-out problem at the "clean-out" hole, I saw evidence of that myself. Were these only Navy Arms? And has this problem been fixed in subsequent guns manufactured?

Southron Sr.
05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Yes, some of the repro Pietta Smiths did come from the factory with 'bad barrels.' I just don't recall the serial number range. IF you can't get your Smith to shoot worth a flip, then I would have a knowledgeable gunsmith look at it to determine the problem. IF the barrel does have a 'manufacturing defect,' I would contact the importer or dealer and request a replacement. You never can tell, sometimes they will replace a barrel under warranty for free.

I did purchase two Pietta Smiths in the mid-1990's. The clean out screw on one blew out at a practice session on my home range. I drilled out the vent, re-tapped it for a larger size screw and installed one, it was a stainless steel replacement screw. The Smith has worked very fine ever since with no problem.

pastore
05-04-2010, 05:41 PM
I have heard that some early Piettas are poor shooters unless they are relined, for example one in the s.n. range 2xxx. Is this true?
Also, some Smiths had a blow-out problem at the "clean-out" hole, I saw evidence of that myself. Were these only Navy Arms? And has this problem been fixed in subsequent guns manufactured?

My Pietta is 17xx. It had both problems. I had the barrel relined and the cleanout screw problem fixed. The carbine now shoots very well.

Gary B
05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Just saw a Smith clean-out screw blow out last weekend at the TW regional !
Good thing his partner was tall, bloodied his shoulder (not his head).
Gary B.

Scott w/1st Fla
05-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Big John we need to get you to Jim Brake. He is Mr. Smith.