PDA

View Full Version : MCM lube

gemmer
12-19-2019, 04:14 PM
How do you guys melt your MCM lube?

jonk
12-19-2019, 05:47 PM
I melt all my lubes in a double boiler. If you don't have one a pyrex cup on a pot of water half full on a fairly low setting works.

gemmer
12-19-2019, 06:07 PM
Thanks. That's what I do, too but I was curious about a faster method. I'll stick with the double boiler.

Muley Gil
12-19-2019, 09:49 PM
I melt mine in an old sauce pan, using direct heat from my Coleman stove. I melt and dip my bullets.

Kevin Tinny
12-20-2019, 06:11 AM
Hello, Gemmer:

As others have said: "Been down this (long and twisty) road".

Rather than wade into too deeply into this topic here, I sent you a PM.

Ask the MAKERS of each commercial or home-brewed lube to learn what their tests of alternative heating methods indicated.

Bottom line, the least heat is best. Too much can degrade ingredients, especially over many re-heatings.
All are ok with double-boiling. Yes, I radar range melted my lubes until John Dewald of MCM and others cautioned otherwise.

Did I just pull a grenade pin? Sorry....

Edited for typo's. Kevin
Happy Holidays

All the best,
Kevin Tinny

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
12-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Try an old electric skillet. Set the temp with a coking thermometer. Been doing it for years. Now the secret is out.

Kevin Tinny
12-20-2019, 10:53 AM
Once again the all seeing eye of those Ohio guys has reached us.

Everthing seems sooo easy until we hit " ya just gotta..."

Your Team walks the talk!

Thanks, so much Gregg.

Kevin

jonk
12-20-2019, 02:35 PM
You can also set your oven to 210 and melt in there. Main thing is not to scorch it.

bobanderson
12-21-2019, 05:37 AM
I found that reheating lube over and over tends to cook the moisture out of it. The fouling got pretty bad out at the end of the barrel. To eliminate the reheating, I made a set of moulds to cast lube sticks for my lubrisizer out of pvc pipe and and arrow shafts. When I whip up a batch of "Bobolene", I store the sticks in a sealed tub. Lasts for 6 months or more.

efritz
12-21-2019, 09:54 AM
I use an old mr. coffee warming tray/plate. Strip all but the plate. Jump out the t?stat and let her rip when melted. Can be found in trash/flea markets/eBay

snapcap14
12-23-2019, 08:08 PM
How do you guys melt your MCM lube?

i use a coffee cup warmer. from wall mart. when not useing to to warm lube it keeps my coffee warm.

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
12-23-2019, 09:15 PM
Yep! A cup warmer works for me.

noonanda
01-02-2020, 09:09 AM
I found that reheating lube over and over tends to cook the moisture out of it. The fouling got pretty bad out at the end of the barrel. To eliminate the reheating, I made a set of moulds to cast lube sticks for my lubrisizer out of pvc pipe and and arrow shafts. When I whip up a batch of "Bobolene", I store the sticks in a sealed tub. Lasts for 6 months or more.

Bob,
What size PVC pipe do you use, might need to try this

Lou Lou Lou
01-02-2020, 09:43 AM
Darryl, PM sent.Lou

bobanderson
01-03-2020, 09:32 AM
Bob,
What size PVC pipe do you use, might need to try this

1" pipe cut to about 5" long, with turned wooden end caps. I use an old arrow shaft to create the hole for the screw on my Lyman 450 Lubrisizer.

Rob FreemanWBR
01-18-2020, 07:50 AM
Ditto Bob - melting and casting lube in this fashion allows for simple/fast reloading of an empty lubrisizer - esp. when you're hot & heavy in the middle of a reloading session!

After extracting the lube cylinders from my mold, I wrap each of them in Saran Wrap, annotate the month/year cast with Sharpee, and then store them in the back of the basement fridge so as to keep them fresh longer.

Many lubes will in fact to rancid over time, which will adversely affect accuracy... Keeping them chilled simply prolongs their shelf life.

I do keep two or three cylinders "at the ready" i.e. at room temp, in my reloading area for immediate use. When/if any of these are used, I just pull needed cylinders from the fridge as needed, to take their place at room temp.

"Gilding the Lillie" some might say, on such a puerile topic? Perhaps, but it's the little things that help make the process SO much easier (and cleaner)!

J. C. Hall
01-18-2020, 10:01 AM
I, too use the 1" PVC pipe, but I melt the lube in a pyrex measuring cup in a microwave oven. I don't let it run any longer than it takes to melt the lube. The pyrex cup has pouring spout so it goes right into the molds. No muss, no fuss (almost).

Maillemaker
01-20-2020, 03:36 PM
I too use the PVC pipe molds for making lubrisizer lube sticks.

But, most of my bullets now have to be dip-lubed since I use Wilkinson-style bullets in my rifled guns now.

To melt, I use a hot plate and a Pyrodex measuring cup.

Steve

tackdriver
01-20-2020, 03:41 PM
Depending upon the amount of lube you're talking about, I use a small rice cooker. Set to high to melt fast and then warm to keep it liquid