PDA

View Full Version : Enfield gun slings

David K. Fox
08-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm restoring a Birmingham export P.53/58 3-band Enfield and am obsessing on the subject of slings. One presumes the North and South fabricated slings for the P.53 3-bander, mayhap along the lines of that specified in the ordnance manuals for the M.1841 'Mississippi' rifle, perhaps also made in fabric in the South. Sutlers provide copies of these.
One also presumes the Brits exported a chance of their then-regulation gun slings along with the other leather accoutrement they supplied both North and South. Which brings me to my question: what would the early 1860s British Enfield export sling look like? I have several original British leather slings, the sort with one end affixed to the lower swivel by a thong run through four pre-punced holes and the upper end adjustable by the expected leather loop affixed to the far end of the sling. This sort is replicated. I believe this style was current throughout the Snyder-Enfield and Henry-Martini era, but when did it come into use? At the time of the Crimea, I believe standard British gun slings were adjusted by a metal buckle. What did it look like, is it THE proper Civil War British export sling, and does anyone supply them, new or original?

R. McAuley 3014V
08-10-2008, 05:40 PM
CENSORED

Blair
08-11-2008, 08:19 AM
David,

The blockade Runner "Modren Greece" ran agroung as it was trying to come into Wilmington, NC in june of 1862.
Many blockade items have been recoverd form the site of the wreck. Among which were several incomplete cases of Enfield Rifle Muskets. Leather sling were inside the cases not attached the the firearm.
The sling show no sign of having a metel buckel afixed to them. They also show no sign of having a standing loop at one end, however, there are perpunched holes at one end for the thong.
I don't know if this helps but you may be able to contact the Blockade Runner Museum at Fort Fisher to get more details on what they have.
Blair

Jim Mayo
08-11-2008, 08:23 AM
http://www.kabar44.com/

To add a little to the above post: The buckle sling is a correct sling which was imported in small quantities (based on field recoveries of the buckle) for the Enfields. These buckles have been found in Eastern (ANV) positions as well as in the GA area. The vendor at the above location sells these slings and has some info to back up their use. If you need a picture of one of the buckles (there were two types) I have one dug at Seven Pines. Drop me an e-mail and I will send you a picture.

Based on the Blair post above and what you find out at the museum, there may have been other slings that were imported as well. If you look at CS images you can see the buckle on Enfield slings but some you can't. Maybe the pics where no buckle can be seen had the slings with no buckles.

Mike w/ 34th
08-11-2008, 10:06 AM
ntxt

ken chrestman
08-11-2008, 05:51 PM
I bought a beautiful correct sling at he Nashville CW show from a dealer who had a lot of original and new made leather goods. My sling is dark brown with a brass buckle and thong closure, he is Malcolm Addoms 804/648-7616. I bought an original 3 band Potts & Hunt London with a regulation issue 1855 sling with a hole added at the end on the sling for the hook. The English slings use a friction buckle.

Hope this helps;

Ken Chrestman, 7147V

kb466
08-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Some years ago, I bought a sling from a Civil War antiques dealer that he reportedly pulled out of a box of original slings he had bought many years previously. It was dark brown and very similar to the standard US sling with the single brass hook. However, there were differences-- it had a single brass button on the lower end where it attached to the swivel and was a bit longer than a standard US sling. However most interesting was that it was stamped with the British crown cypher as might appear on a lockplate. I figured it was a British-made Enfield sling that was imported with some Enfield rifles during the CW. I have never seen or heard of a similar one other than this one. Do I still have it?-- No, I sold it years ago on Ebay as I did not have an original P53 Enfield. Maybe the buyer is out there reading this or someone who has a similar sling can report on this.

R. McAuley 3014V
08-31-2008, 11:21 PM
CENSORED

kb466
09-03-2008, 01:09 AM
I noticed this reproduction sling for a P53 Enfield or Snider on the IMA website. It looks like it might be a nice sling, but I am not familiar with this pattern. Does anyone have any information as to whether this pattern sling existed and was it ever used? And if so, when and where? Also, has anyone bought this IMA sling? If so, any thoughts on it? I am thinking of buying one for my P-H P53 Enfield I bought a while back. I posted this query over on the British Militaria forum and the response was that it was not British military as it was not buff white or black. So I am wondering if it was a pattern that might have appeared on Enfields brought in during the Civil War. or maybe something sold commercially to colonial buyers. Oh, before I forget, here is a link to the IMA sling--
http://www.ima-usa.com/pr...h/29_115/products_id/1212

Terry Schultz, 10057
09-06-2008, 03:04 PM
David
Is this what you are looking for. You can get one from The Company Quartermaster at 716 693-3239
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z11/major146/britishslingwithbuckleforweb-1.jpg