PDA

View Full Version : Smith carbine flash hole

tucten
11-13-2019, 06:20 PM
I?m new to this blog, but not the organization. I?ve been struggling with my Smith carbine. What?s frustrating is, this carbine has shot very well in the past. I?m looking at everything, and I noticed the flash hole at the back of my breach looks irregular. Would this affect accuracy.
Also, I switched to brass tubes which are very convenient. Could they be part of the problem. I shoot 25 grains 3F.8887

Lou Lou Lou
11-13-2019, 06:28 PM
What exactly is the problem? What are you trying to fix

Michael Bodner
11-13-2019, 06:51 PM
The flash hole will not affect accuracy.

If you have recently lost accuracy, look at what has changed recently. Same caps, same lot of powder, sane lube, same lead?

Does it start out good, then get worse? If so, insufficient lube is a likely cause.

Are you shooting from the bench?

Are the sights tight and not moving?

Input!!!!

B P Shooter
11-13-2019, 08:57 PM
I would go back to whatever tubes you were using before the brass and try them again. If your groups tighten, then the tubes could be the culprit. If that does not help, the flash hole could be a culprit. But, that's only if nothing else has changed. IE: powder lot, lead hardness, lube, etc.

Do you clean your flash hole and fire chamber? If not, I would try that by pulling the nipple and using pipe cleaners and some solvent of your choice.

Have you checked the nipple or tried replacing it?

Some say it will not affect the accuracy, but I am not one of those. A nipple on a musket that is ate out will affect accuracy. So, I am a firm believer the nipple and flash hole on a carbine would also do the same.

My belief is that a "splash" of fire (through a bigger hole) will not ignite the powder at the same rate as a direct line of fire (through a smaller, more directed hole). Thus, faster/slower ignition of the powder. If that makes any sense to you.

Hope this helps.

John Bly
11-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Try tightening the screw in the buttplate that holds the butt stock on. If it gets loose it can cause inaccuracy.

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
11-13-2019, 09:28 PM
Try tightening the screw in the buttplate that holds the butt stock on. If it gets loose it can cause inaccuracy.

John's right on that one I have experienced it.

Rick R
11-14-2019, 02:57 PM
I shot a Yeck Smith several years and the flash hole would burn out, don't recall how often. It's been a long time and my brain cells have been subjected to a relentless assault, but I believe there was a significant effect on accuracy. I got tired of fixing the darned thing and sold it after the last repair. Darn that thing could shoot, hit on the first 15 shots I ever took with it.

marv762
11-26-2019, 02:15 PM
i also found that the brass tubes needed a 520 diameter bullet to fit tight in them. now my son is using tubes from yor supply with a brass insert in the base. they use the 515 bullet.