PDA

View Full Version : Sanity check please

noonanda
10-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Preparing to join, and confirming what repro rifles I have quality based on the Approved roster and I have a few questions. I currently have 4 different rifles, 3 of which I would likely use. I have a:
1853 Enfield made by Euro-arms (London Armory Co lock-plate)
1864 Springfield (Navy Arms Lockplate)
1863 Remington "Zouave" Antonio Zoli (Navy Arms lock-plate)
1861 Springfield Armisport

First question. On the 1853, 1864, and Zouave I have tall front sights soldered in the same spot the original sights were at on these guns. Does this require SAC card approval? These sights were purchased from sutlers row during the Fall nationals.

Second question. Do these all Compete in the same category? I ask because the Zouave is listed under 1. Rifle, while the others fall under 2. Rifled Muskets. I am reading through the rulebook right now as well but figured I'd come to the experts

Lou Lou Lou
10-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Welcome aboard! All your guns are in the same class.

Carolina Reb
10-12-2019, 03:37 PM
Someone from the IG department will jump in on the inspection question. All of the arms you mention shoot in the Musket event (which is muzzle loading muskets and rifles). You may want to trade off a couple of those for arms in other classes, such as a carbine (Smith, Sharps, Richmond, etc.) and a smoothbore (M-1816 or M1842 musket). That way you could shoot three different events. At nationals, it would be Smoothbore on Friday, Carbine Saturday and Musket Sunday.

Welcome aboard!

noonanda
10-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Someone from the IG department will jump in on the inspection question. All of the arms you mention shoot in the Musket event (which is muzzle loading muskets and rifles). You may want to trade off a couple of those for arms in other classes, such as a carbine (Smith, Sharps, Richmond, etc.) and a smoothbore (M-1816 or M1842 musket). That way you could shoot three different events. At nationals, it would be Smoothbore on Friday, Carbine Saturday and Musket Sunday.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks, Im hoping to pick up a smoothbore in the future. Ive got a Armisport 1863 Sharps "Sporting rifle" that I might get have Lodgewood convert to a Carbine (which I understand would require a SAC card) to be able to cover down on Carbine. Obviously this will be in the future

Muley Gil
10-12-2019, 04:58 PM
Of the four long arms that you have, I would concentrate on the 1864 Springfield and the 1863 Remington Zouave. Generally, these two have the best barrels from the factory. Many folks prefer the shorter rifle as opposed to the 3 band rifle musket. My first skirmish gun was a Zoli Zouave. With its favorite load, it would shoot a 3 shot cloverleaf group that measured 1". This was from the bench at 50 yards.

Of course, use the one that fits you the best and that you shoot the best. Welcome aboard and good shooting!

bobanderson
10-13-2019, 05:07 AM
Thanks, Im hoping to pick up a smoothbore in the future. Ive got a Armisport 1863 Sharps "Sporting rifle" that I might get have Lodgewood convert to a Carbine (which I understand would require a SAC card) to be able to cover down on Carbine. Obviously this will be in the future
If the Sporting Rifle is checkered, that might make the conversion too pricey. Also, don't forget to contact Larry Flees to have a gas check job done so you can shoot it all day long. Might be cheaper in the long run to horse trade for a skirmish ready carbine.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
10-13-2019, 09:06 AM
We don't allow checkering on the Sharps. You could fill the checkering in with wood putty or replace the wood with the correct military type. You may also need a patch box and different sights depending on model. It may be better to just buy one that conforms to our rules.
The front sight base must be the same size and position as the original. The leaf can be as wide as the base or narrower and as tall as you want. The leaf itself can't extend beyond the envelope of the sight base. Leafs can't be like you typically see on Kentucky rifles.

PoorJack
10-13-2019, 09:16 AM
Don't be quick to dismiss the "Zouave". They can be very good guns if you take time to do load development.

bobanderson
10-14-2019, 08:04 AM
Don't be quick to dismiss the "Zouave". They can be very good guns if you take time to do load development.

And replace the barrel, lock, trigger...

A Zouave is usually a cheaply made gun that has an oversized barrel, soft internal lock parts and a bad trigger. An experienced skirmisher can make one work for a while, but it will fail you in the long run.

Do yourself a favor and start with good equipment. Not expensive, custom made guns, but more middle of the road. Too many people get discouraged because their budget put them at a disadvantage. You can't buy your way into the ten ring but you can't slop every shot in there either.

MR. GADGET
10-14-2019, 08:34 AM
And replace the barrel, lock, trigger...

A Zouave is usually a cheaply made gun that has an oversized barrel, soft internal lock parts and a bad trigger. An experienced skirmisher can make one work for a while, but it will fail you in the long run.

Do yourself a favor and start with good equipment. Not expensive, custom made guns, but more middle of the road. Too many people get discouraged because their budget put them at a disadvantage. You can't buy your way into the ten ring but you can't slop every shot in there either.

Funny. You say Zouave as in one gun, there are many makers of that gun or were at one time. Yes some better than others. But to say Zouave like you did is like saying springfield or enfield.

That said I have shot Zouave from the start. First a zoli now Euro arms. Never failed me.

Yet about every enfield or springfield I have had has failed me, also Remington and R&S.

Would maybe be better to list the brand not just the type if you have had them fail.

If you replace the Barrel, lock and trigger you have a custom gun that will cost you some coin. Is it worth that for a piece 50 cent pot metal

Lou Lou Lou
10-14-2019, 10:00 AM
I always found Zoli barrels to be exceptional.

noonanda
10-15-2019, 07:24 AM
Friend,

you are going to hear all kinds of advice here but the key thing is....which of the muskets you have listed here feels the best for you to hold comfortably and points up easiest in your stance? If it feels natural to you and is something you can load and lift repeatedly without too much fatiguing then go with that one first. There are some exercises you can do to figure this out (this is sure to open a whole other can of worms on here). Foot alignment, hold comfort and sight picture are VERY important. Choose the weapon that fits those first because it doesn?t matter how much of a tack driver the rifle is if it?s uncomfortable cause you won?t be as likely to hold it steady. There?s no rush here take your time and you will figure it out in due coyrse. No one expects you to be Carlos Hath ock out of the gate.

cheers,

PapaRob

Thanks for the advice. Funny you should mention Carlos Hathcock. Im a retired Marine and wish I could shoot as good as him

noonanda
10-15-2019, 02:19 PM
We don't allow checkering on the Sharps. You could fill the checkering in with wood putty or replace the wood with the correct military type. You may also need a patch box and different sights depending on model. It may be better to just buy one that conforms to our rules.
The front sight base must be the same size and position as the original. The leaf can be as wide as the base or narrower and as tall as you want. The leaf itself can't extend beyond the envelope of the sight base. Leafs can't be like you typically see on Kentucky rifles.

no checkering on it, but barrel is currently 29 " so would require being cut down

WBR10654
10-18-2019, 06:17 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Preparing to join, and confirming what repro rifles I have quality based on the Approved roster and I have a few questions. I currently have 4 different rifles, 3 of which I would likely use. I have a:
1853 Enfield made by Euro-arms (London Armory Co lock-plate)
1864 Springfield (Navy Arms Lockplate)
1863 Remington "Zouave" Antonio Zoli (Navy Arms lock-plate)
1861 Springfield Armisport

First question. On the 1853, 1864, and Zouave I have tall front sights soldered in the same spot the original sights were at on these guns. Does this require SAC card approval? These sights were purchased from sutlers row during the Fall nationals.

Second question. Do these all Compete in the same category? I ask because the Zouave is listed under 1. Rifle, while the others fall under 2. Rifled Muskets. I am reading through the rulebook right now as well but figured I'd come to the experts

Shot'em all and see which fits you the best and hits the best.

I can shoot a straight Stock like an Enfield but to do so I have to practice a lot because it is not fit me well and my cheek weld is in a different place but I know people who swear by them.

Then decide.

Even the NON REGULATION ones, if they can be fixed.

You do not want to toss out a Tack Driver.

I say a rifle must at a minimum HIT it a paper "Pidgeon" at 100 yards off the bench.

If it does that then you can have confidence in your TOOLS and know your missies are all you.

Last time I benched my 1855 on Gary Popes Lead-Sled, One hit at 11 AM on the edge and TWO hits touching at 2 on the edge. So all my misses are me.

DPB