PDA

View Full Version : Bernadelli Misssissippi in .58 caliber

Bob Hatfield
04-30-2010, 07:17 AM
I've done some searching, but want to verify something I read about this weapon I picked up yesterday.

It says "Replica Arms Ridgefield N.J" on the top of the barrel. So I think it may be Navy Arms previous name?

It has the "W" on the bolster. Does that mean the breechplug is welded in addition to being screwed in? Is it good or bad to have the "W"?

Is there any issues with the Bernadelli 1841?

The rifle is unfired I do believe. It must have been made on a Monday, because the crown is been ground on one side and not the other. It looks like I'll have to slice off and 1/8th inch of the barrel to clean up the crown before shooting it.

It came with one of the Zouave Peace Flasks (unused) and a mold that is aluminum anodized black but it is not a Lee. The core pin is mounted on a plate at the bottom with slots for screw holes allowing the mold to open and close and center itself. Also it has handles with it and a shiny spruplate......It looks like a 575213 bullet. Who made this mold?

Thank you very much....................Bob

mike lynch 4731
04-30-2010, 09:22 AM
The mold is a Lyman

Joe 3rd N C Art 2440V
04-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Lyman never had a captive core pin. I have an old Shilo from early 70s like that.

Joe 3rd N C Art 2440V
04-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Rifle sounds like the same as my old "Gold Rush" (1972) mississippi but sold by the forerunner of Navy Arms. " W " stands for Bill ( William ) Large.

John Holland
04-30-2010, 11:50 AM
I hate to do this, Joe, but with all due respect the "W" on the bolster of a Bernardelli Mississippi means that the bolster is "Welded" on, rather than brazed as were the early deliveries.

John Holland
Chmn. SAC

Bob Hatfield
04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Well that explains the "W" on the bolster.................I was thinking the bolster was forged with the barrel and the breechplug was brazed in, but it is definatly screwed in. I took her apart and sliced 1/16th inch off of the barrel andf trued up the muzzle to get rid of the monday morning crowning gouge job at the Bernadelli plant while someone tally youngin was listening to the Stones.

Thanks....................Bob

Blair
04-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Bob.

If I am not mistaken, Replica Arms out of Ridgefield, NJ, served as a subsidiary company to Navy Arms. Serving mostly as a clearing house to/for Navy Arms to sell used/returned firearms at much reduced prices.

Gold Rush Arms is an Import Company started by Bill Edwards. I don’t know the actual date it was started, but most items were imported through Navy Arms but with "Gold Rush Arms" stamped on the barrel in Italy.
Brennen Sanders maybe able to shed more light onto the early dealings of these Companies than I can.
I hope this is helpful,
Blair

Bob Hatfield
04-30-2010, 04:29 PM
This one definately needed returning.........But its OK now....We re -crowned it but had to shorten the barrel about 1/16th inch.

Joe 3rd N C Art 2440V
04-30-2010, 05:43 PM
John, does the "W" on the Gold Rush barrel mean welded also.?

Southron Sr.
04-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Dear Blair:

I remember touring the Bernadelli factory in downtown Brescia, Italy back in '76. Tom Hunger and I were given a personal tour by Mr. Bernadelli, who at the time was in his 50's and a very nice man who spoke English fluently.

Interestingly enough, even back then, they had some of the latest German made, CNC machinery in the plant! Put it another way, the plant was "ultra modern" in both architecture and machinery. The plant and production areas were spotlessly clean-not exactly how you would imagine a gun factory would look. recall Mr. Bernadelli showing us the vaious storage rooms where completed arms were sent after they were finished. The arms were placed in vertical racks, and after a final inspection, packed and shipped out to their customers all around the world.

What was neat about the tour? We went into one room that contained only custom and semi-custom engraved shotguns! Over and Under shotguns, Side by Side shotguns, etc.,The quality of these shotguns were fully equal to any other fine shotguns made anywhere else in the world-including the custom built British shotguns.

Then we went to the room where there were racks and racks Mississippi Rifles. Another room contained nothing but 9 mm, Submachine Guns that were ordered by the police of a third-world country and due to be shipped out soon!

I remember the "saga" of the first Mississippis to be made and imported. I think that they were imported and sold by both Bill Edwards' "Gold Rush Gun Shop" and also that very fine gentleman and Sutler/Skirmisher, Mr. Frank Garrett.

If I recall correctly, the problem was that on the early Mississippi's the bolsters were only silver soldered on and consequently, a proud owner of a new MIssissippi would be on the firing line at a Skirmish when, upon firing, the bolster and nipple would depart for "parts unknown" (no pun intended.)

Needless to say, Skirmishers standing on the firing line to the Right Side of someone shooting these early Mississippis had a tendency to become somewhat nervous.

From what I recall, the importer and the BOD reached an agreement: Only Mississippi Rifles with a "W" stamped on the bolster (for "Welded") would be henceforth "Approved" for Skirmish use. I think that this was sometimes in the early '70's when this occurred.

I owned and shot one for several years and it shot beautifully.

As for the Bernadelli with the messed up crown-that was probably done by some "home gunsmith."

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Southron

Joe 3rd N C Art 2440V
05-01-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm usually wrong only once every 2 to 3 years (ask my teammates) and it has really busted my bubble to learn that I've been wrong all this many years about the W on my old Gold Rush. And on my birthday too. Green

John Holland
05-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Joe 3rd N C Art 2440V ,

The answer to the "W" question is , yes it means welded.

JDH

Bob Hatfield
05-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Thank you Mr Holland...............Are the bolsters of regular modern brand Italian Rifle Muskets welded to the barrel also?
Bob

John Holland
05-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Bob Hatfield,

No, not necessarily, some are castings with the barrels threaded into them. There are no brazed on bolsters being used any longer that I am familiar with. But, I haven't seen everything on the market, either.

John

threepdr
05-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Bob,

Can you tell what the bore size is on your Bernadelli? Mine is very tight. I have to size down to .573 to get the minnie to go down the bore. I've only shot it once and the Lee classic minnie key holed at 25 yards! THe RCBS Blue-Gray target minne did OK, but I still have not worked up a load that will give me confidence for competition.

Who else shoots a Bernadelli? Any suggestions on a good load?

thanks

Blair
05-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Mark,

It is my understanding that many of these early "Zouaves" and "Miss Rifles" were choked, much like modern breech loading Shotgun barrels are.
Being muzzle loaders, this did mot help in the accuracy part of the equation.
It only meant you had to size the bullet down that much more to get it started.
I bought my first "Zouave" in 1972, a Zoli made and imported by Navy Arms. It had a choked muzzle.
.573 sized bullet to get it started, but the weight of the ram rod alone would seat the bullet after it was in the bore 1/2 inch. I had to shoot a heavy bullet with about 60 grains of fffg powder to get it to preform reasonably well at 100 yds.

bilge water bob
05-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I have a bernardelli, I had a "J" stamped on my bolster, I think it stood for junk. Any how, Dan Witachre was glad to see me and my money. His barrel is awsome. Have you had any issues with the Bernardelli lock?

Bob Hatfield
05-03-2010, 06:08 PM
This Mississippi has not ever been fired so I will fire it this weekend. I have .562 round balls and a variety of patching material........I can push one of these patched with a .015inch patch into the bore with a thumb and pluck it back out. I have a variety of "Minie's also........I"ll Try some "REAL" bullets. They start easily for the first two bands...........Bufflalo Bullets that came with the Bernadelli feel like a real good fit.................If I had to guess , I'd say the bore on this weapon is .578-.580 in size..............I have some Lee oversize Minnies that are supposed to be .578 and they are loose.........................Bob