PDA

View Full Version : Smith Sear Springs

Dan Mastin
10-08-2019, 06:08 PM
Is anyone making the clothes pin like sear springs for Smith carbines?

Dan Mastin
11th Indiana

PoorJack
10-09-2019, 08:53 AM
No one currently that I know of but Pat Kelly, aka RaiderANV here, has a supply of the ones that were made.

j.howardcycles
10-09-2019, 09:43 AM
S&S & Lodgewood have them.

Kevin Tinny
10-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Hello:

At the Nationals, David at Lodgewood said he was out.
With sufficient demand, I think he could wind some.

For my original Smith, the hammer spring was very stiff. First I CLEANED OFF ALL OLD OIL, ETC .
I think part of heavy TRIGGER pull is from a heavy hammer spring so I put one of S&S's in and hammer retraction was noticeably less and it struck caps fine.

Next, put one of David's "Hood" coil trigger springs in and the pull was much better, but still around 5#.
I carefully bent the lower leg and that cut a half-pound. Then bent it more and pull INCREASED!
Found the LEG that extends from the coil was now rubbing on the tumbler at ONLY FULL-cock so unbent leg and bent only the small section that touches the trigger. Pull at 3.5# and has held for several hundred shots.

Thanks to Bruce Cobb for all of his guidance on this.

Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny

Harry Gaul
10-09-2019, 10:36 AM
If possible, can I see a picture of the new and improved spring?

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
Harry
3rd US
03626v

Kevin Tinny
10-09-2019, 03:40 PM
Hello, Harry:

Neither S & S nor Lodgewood have a photo, but ...

GOOGLE "Smith carbine trigger spring images" and it is there as the coil with two legs.

R/Kevin Tinny

Michael Bodner
10-10-2019, 10:09 AM
The Smith trigger leaf spring is usually the cause of heavy trigger pull weight. Of course, sear needs work too, but FIRST get trigger alone below 3# then start work on sear...