PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1842 smooth bore musket, pristine, all correct, with bayonet

trozzo51
09-24-2019, 08:47 PM
I'd like to sell this musket for fair market value. I'm not into this type firearm, so I'm taking the word of 2 gunsmiths and an avid skirmisher who say it is 100% correct, in pristine condition and has likely never been on the battlefield due to it's excellent condition. The barrel markings and inspector cartouche are clearly stamped. Stock looks original and unadulterated. Metal has the original preserved patina. It is accompanied by an original matching bayonet. I'll try to get pics up soon. $2000 is what I have been told is top value. Frank

trozzo51
09-25-2019, 09:32 AM
Pictures Here

gmkmd
09-25-2019, 02:28 PM
It's a nice gun, but far from "pristine". Aside from the obvious pitting, there are wrench marks on the barrel and tang, indicating that the breech plug was removed (crudely) at some point.
How is the bore, and what is the date on the tang?

trozzo51
09-25-2019, 06:19 PM
It's a nice gun, but far from "pristine". Aside from the obvious pitting, there are wrench marks on the barrel and tang, indicating that the breech plug was removed (crudely) at some point.
How is the bore, and what is the date on the tang?

Bore is extremely clean to the bottom. Tang dated 1846. From a historical perspective, how many of these guns have you seen new in the crate? How many out there are literally falling apart? SO what criteria would you use to grade a musket of this type? I have 3 expert opinions so far and the consensus is very very fine condition. Very desirable from a collector standpoint.

John Bly
09-25-2019, 07:28 PM
It looks to be a shooter grade 1842, probable value is around $1200. Civil war guns are down in value unless in absolutely pristine condition or with documented provenance. Yes, there are much better condition ones out there. Just come to the B'more antique arms show sometime and you'll see some.

MR. GADGET
09-26-2019, 07:01 AM
Guys.
This is not a debate. He has a product for sale. If it pertains direct to questions about the gun or information to help him sell it fine.

His item, his price. Move on if you feel you do not want to buy it or pay what is ask.
Take all offers to PM works best.

MR. GADGET
09-26-2019, 10:37 AM
Well this may totally undo the antiobnoxiousahole therapy I've been undergoing, but I disagree with Mr. G. Along the top rail of this electronic rag is the word "Forum." In my mind anything you post on here is subject to discussion -- by definition that includes product statements by sellers. This then slides into the area of intent --- is the BB intended to inform, or is it to sell. Maybe to avoid this pitfall sellers might look into Gunbroker and such.

You may be on to something.

That is why the board has talked in the past about doing away with this section and stopping sales of all types on here and keeping it as a forum to just talk about N-SSA events and Question and Answer. ..

Muley Gil
09-26-2019, 11:56 AM
You may be on to something.

That is why the board has talked in the past about doing away with this section and stopping sales of all types on here and keeping it as a forum to just talk about N-SSA events and Question and Answer. ..

I TOTALLY disagree. The N-SSA uses muzzle loaders that are seldom used in live fire anywhere else. Where else can you find the equipment that we use? I will inform my regional commander and ask him to keep this section of the BB if it comes up for a vote.

All of the firearms forums that I belong to have a Want to Buy or Sell section. The Smith & Wesson forum has a rule that NO comments are to be posted other than "I'll take it", "PM sent" or a bump to the top. Everything else is discussed with the seller via private message (PM), e-mail or telephone.

lmcmahon
09-26-2019, 12:00 PM
The for sale and wanted forum is here to stay.

Muley Gil
09-26-2019, 12:12 PM
The for sale and wanted forum is here to stay.

Thank you.

trozzo51
09-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Gentlemen, I am not offended by anything and have a pretty good idea based on what 3 experts have told me. I'll take this to a local show next Monday and solicit opinions and take offers. One fairly knowledgeable collector reenact-or was very impressed by its condition. I sell on gunbroker and have a 100% spotless feedback rating and offer buyers a 3 day return privilege for any reason whatsoever. I'm listing it here to avoid sales commissions and to offer it to a well deserving re-enactor.

trozzo51
09-26-2019, 09:49 PM
Gentlemen, here is a summary on the 1846 percussion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Model_1842

I would welcome a lively exchange that helps acquire additional knowledge. Any info you guys have to offer is welcome.

rgsheppard
09-28-2019, 07:36 AM
The seller, a non-NSSA member, makes a statement that his gun for sale is in pristine condition, thus the $2000 tag. I appreciate the comments of knowledgeable N-SSA members as to their perspective of its condition leading to this price. Their comments were constructive and professional. None that I read were derogatory or critical.