PDA

View Full Version : Enfield Musketoon Re-barrel suggestions

Jim Cunningham
09-21-2019, 07:37 PM
Hi,

I recently acquired an old English Parker Hale musketoon. Unfortunately, it has a badly pitted barrel that I'd like to replace. I've had excellent results with Whitacre barrels on 3 band Enfields, but would think the 24" barrel needs a faster twist to shoot accurately. Any recommendations for a barrel? Any contact information for Bobby Hoyt?

Thanks,

Muley Gil
09-21-2019, 08:08 PM
I THINK the P-H musketoon has a 1:48" twist.

Jim Cunningham
09-21-2019, 09:33 PM
Yes it does. I'd like to replace the pitted barrel with a Hoyt, but don't know how to contact him.

Muley Gil
09-21-2019, 11:30 PM
Look at post # 5:

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/14928-Who-re-lines-barrels?highlight=hoyt+contact+info

Jim Cunningham
09-22-2019, 07:08 AM
Thank You!

PoorJack
09-22-2019, 12:08 PM
FWIW- My PH Enfield musketoon has a Whitacre barrel on it and it's a consistent 2moa shooter with the right load. Ask Whitacre what he recommends based on the bullet you want to use. I'm sure Hoyt could help as well. Whomever you use, know that you'll have to load development to get the best out of the new barrel.

My load is a RCBS Hogdon sized to bore, 42gr 3f Old E, beeswax/lard, RWS caps. I tried Crisco in the lube and by itself as a lube but the group opened up to 4moa while changing nothing else. The result was repeatable so I'm convinced Crisco has issues while lard tightened the groups.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
09-22-2019, 12:37 PM
Hoyt is currently on a trip of some sort. Two Saturdays ago I picked up a few barrels I had and he said he was leaving that Monday for three weeks, so if you don't get a call back right away......

JP

Kevin Tinny
09-22-2019, 04:31 PM
Hello, Jim:

Might also wish to discuss the topic of progressive DEPTH, rifling grooves with Bobby. He can do them.
Most P-H Enfields had a version of this type, if you want the new bore to match what P-H probably imparted.

Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny

Dave Fox
09-22-2019, 04:56 PM
You might also consider having the original barrel lined by either craftsman.

gemmer
09-23-2019, 09:41 AM
Hoyt is currently on a trip of some sort. Two Saturdays ago I picked up a few barrels I had and he said he was leaving that Monday for three weeks, so if you don't get a call back right away......

JP

I think he'e due back the end of this week.