PDA

View Full Version : need revolver help

jim2622
04-27-2010, 05:29 PM
got an uberti "millenium" 1858 remington that won't shoot...hope someone can help
this gun looks to be a great shooter because the cylinder & barrel line up is dead on....locks up tight with only .002 between barrel & cylinder....bore is .456 & cylinder holes are all .457....lands are .440 with a 1 in 16 twist....no tight or loose spots in barrel....forcing cone & muzzle crown are good....i have tried many loads with FFFg and differing balls of .457 & .463 with hard & soft lead....nothing groups good enough to skirmish with....best is only a loose 10 ring....tried lens, 300+ , mcm , crisco & home brewed lubes....seating ball deep & shallow with verying amounts of filler & no filler ( cream of wheat)....damn, what am i missing

.............jim ...44th NYVI ...............

John Holland
04-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Have you tried Swiss....?

JDH

jim2622
04-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Have you tried Swiss....?

JDH

have not tried swiss...only swiss i have is 1 1/2 Fg....maybe i should try FFg that i have on hand :roll:

Charlie Hahn
04-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I noticed your twist rate. It appears to be a little faster than normal for this pistol. May I ask if the barrel has narrow lands compared to the grooves? Next, have you considered a bullet with increased length? The rate of twist you appear to have has a history of over stablizing the round ball. You might also considered a real low charge with the round ball, (below 15 grains) as a quick test to prove this out. If you want to contact me, I have a new pistol bullet that I could send a few for you to try without needing to buy a mould.

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736

Mike McDaniel
04-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Try grouping each chamber individually.

ian45662
05-03-2010, 07:23 AM
I sent my gun to mr hahn and now it will print a group smaller than a golf ball at 25 yards right where I aim it. I could have sighted in each cylinder individualy but I wanted to just aim at the center of everything I shot at. Just some food for thought.

Cauterizer
05-06-2010, 07:03 AM
I just bought a Pietta 1858 Remington in .44 caliber. The first 6 shots were a little loose as far as groupings go, but by the time I'd loaded the cylinder for the 8th time, i was dialed in to under 3" groups at 25 feet. The guys at the gun library at Cabela's told me to expect that, and lo and behold...they were right. According to the gospel of these guys, the 100 round mark was basically "broken in and seasoned" and would be the benchmark for sighting it in. I used pyrodex 30g pellets in the .44/.45 and they worked like a charm. Then a greased felt wad, the . 451 ball, and topped off with a Wonder Seal. This pyrodex blasphemy was committed just to reduce another variable in my "Bullseye equation." With all that in there, there's no room nor need to shoot filler such as cream of wheat or grits..., depending which side of the Mason-Dixon line you occupy. There's less than a 1/16th of an inch gap at the end of the loaded cylinder. I left mine loaded for 2 months before I shot it with no problems. Good luck and watch the wind when you shoot that smoker,....my first time at it I shot into a headwind. Bad idea...live and learn ;)

Southron Sr.
05-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Ya' Ain't Going To Believe This One!

I had a Rogers and Spencer that I could never get to shoot worth a flip. No matter what I tried. Finally, my son, who is also a Skirmisher took the cylinder out, looked at it and said: "I know what your problem is, Dad."

The HOLE for the arbor pin in the cylinder was drilled slightly "off center!" Not enough to keep the revolver from locking up but enough to cause shots to go everywhere!

You have to admit, that has to be a "First" of some sort.

jim2622
05-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Ya' Ain't Going To Believe This One!

I had a Rogers and Spencer that I could never get to shoot worth a flip. No matter what I tried. Finally, my son, who is also a Skirmisher took the cylinder out, looked at it and said: "I know what your problem is, Dad."

The HOLE for the arbor pin in the cylinder was drilled slightly "off center!" Not enough to keep the revolver from locking up but enough to cause shots to go everywhere!

You have to admit, that has to be a "First" of some sort.

GOT TO ADMIT...never thought of that, so i had to check....BUT , its not that!!